Whisperflo Pump & Intellitouch

Bg2022

Apr 11, 2013
I am about to install the intellitouch system for an existing pool. Currently I have a whisperflo pump that is original when the pool was installed by the previous home owners around 2008. Although a little noisy, I have had zero troubles with the pump.

My question is will this pump be able to connect to the intellitouch system or would I be better served in upgrading to the intelliflo pump? All the installation guides reference the latter and I can't find any info on installing my current pump to the system.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a long time lurker and have enjoyed receiving my pool education from your responses.

Re: Whisperflo Pump & Intellitouch

Sure you can use a single speed pump. It would also control a 2 speed pump with no problems.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Hi,

Yes the Intellitouch can control a single speed, dual speed or variable speed pump without a problem. The main benefit to upgrading to a variable speed pump would be the energy savings (the manufactures claim up to 80%). Here is an Variable Speed Pump Energy Savings Calculator from Pentair which will show you how much you can expect to spend based on your set up and location. Here is an article which goes into more detail on the Energy Savings you can expect to receive from a Variable Speed pump. If the motor is starting to get loud then this is a sign that the bearings in the motor are starting to go bad and the motor will eventually need to be replaced, which you can do relatively easy for $250 or so vs. upgrading to a variable speed pump for $1,000 range. So it is really a matter if you have the budget to spend more money on the variable speed pump, which should over the long haul pay for itself with the increased energy savings. One other option would be to keep to the Whisperflow pump and just replace the motor on the Whisperflow pump with a variable speed motor this would be a less expensive option then purchasing a whole new variable speed pump, however if your budget permits I would suggest the Pentair Intelliflow if you will be using the Pentair IntelliTouch control system as the interface between the two is very intuitive.

Re: Whisperflo Pump & Intellitouch

It greatly depends on your electrical cost as to whether the VS pump is worth it. Realize the Pentair cost estimation of savings is not very realistic.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.