Need Help to Determine - Booster Pump or Not

Jun 8, 2011
I'm remodeling, so here's my chance for a booster pump install. By the looks of things, it looks like the pips are all 2" and gets reduced to 1/5" I have 3 returns going back into the pool. Would it be a good idea to turn one of these returns into a return for the booster pump and cleaner? If so, do I keep the existing size of pipes? Do I buy thicker gauge pvc? Thanks.

Attachments

• L1020586.JPG
    L1020586.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 76
  • L1020583.JPG
    L1020583.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 76
  • L1020572.jpg
    L1020572.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 76
In the second picture, that looks to be 1" PVC pipe which is pretty small for a normal pool return, but likely fine for a pressure side cleaner.

Are all 3 returns plumbed separately and all are 1" PVC? I can not make out what is going on as far as the return side plumbing from the pictures.

Curious why you are wanting to add the expense of a booster and pressure cleaner as well.

From the measurement photo, that's 1" piping. 1½" piping will measure almost 2" and 2" will measure almost 2½".

As for turning one of the returns into a cleaner line. That may be a good idea as long as it doesn't negatively affect the pools circulation.

This pipe runs from the filter to where it gets reduced. All three returns have the same size pipes and are plumbed separately. As for why the booster method, I've read so many good things about the Polaris 280. It seems more reliable and less costly to repair than a robot. Also, the thought of all the junk going straight to the filter and having to clean the filter more often is a no no.

Attachments

• L1020582.JPG
    L1020582.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 67
That pipe looks like 1 1/4" (1.66" OD) to me [well, probably 1.5" (1.9" OD)] ... I can not tell where 0" starts.

So do all 3 run in 1.5" pipe up close to the pool and then get reduced to 1"? Or is there one 1.5" pipe that then splits into three 1" pipes?

You realize of course that the cost of the 280 plus the booster pump plus the extra electricity likely puts you around the same cost as a robot right?

Anyway, I am not sure if you still have any questions or not ....

I think for pressure side cleaners, the smaller line is fine ... not 100% on that.

But, the other concern might be that when the cleaner is off, you will now only have two 1" return lines ... which is only 1.75 sq-inches and smaller than a single 1.5" return pipe (2 sq-inches) which is on the low end of "normal".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.