Perma-salt to BBB Now I Help

Gboyce

Apr 11, 2013
I have been using Permasalt for 2 years now and had found this website last year and a few others that talked about Perma Salt system not actually sanitizing the water. My water was always just ok it didn't smell or anything but was always a bit cloudy. So about half way thru last summer I started using plain old Walmart shock and clarifier and the water cleaned right up and started sparkling. I was think all of life was great until this year as I am opening the pool. It turned very green in a few days after taking the cover off and before I got it filled and running. I have put in 4 1 lb bags of shock and 2 3" chlorine tablets and it is getting better but still cloudy. I do not have a test kit for chlorine yet but I did check with a test strip from the perma salt system for copper and its reading about .4 for copper still. Will this "eat " the chlorine up and what is the best way to get rid of the copper in the pool short of draining it and restarting all new. Also what else should I be doing and looking for. I am new to chlorine system basically since I was using Perma Salt for last 2 1/2 years
Thanks so much in advance.

The copper will not affect the chlorine. The only reliable way to get rid of the copper is to replace the water.

Since you know you have .4 ppm copper, I would drain at least half of the water and replace it. While you're doing that you should order a good test kit because you'll be much better off with one in the long run.

Welcome to tfp, Gboyce :wave:

In addition, the chlorine products you are using are also adding cyanuric acid (cya) to the water. At low concentrations (less than 50 ppm) cya can be helpful since it protects the chlorine from the sun. However, at concentrations higher than 50 ppm (or 80 ppm for Saltwater chlorine generator (swg) systems), then the cya starts requiring higher levels of FC (Free Chlorine) to remain algae free.

Gboyce said:
Also what else should I be doing and looking for.
Get an appropriate test kit! See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison and read poolschool (link at upper right of each page).

So if the copper doesn't really affect the chlorine does it hurt to just leave it alone? I am kinda guessing since the Perma Salt system used the copper anode with there system to add copper to the water it doesn't really hurt anything. Or am I really off?

Also do I really need the expensive test kit? I am a (recent) retired disabled vet and still getting use to the lower income so any other options would be good.

Gboyce said:
Also do I really need the expensive test kit? I am a (recent) retired disabled vet and still getting use to the lower income so any other options would be good.

In order to correctly care for your pool, yes. It's more money up front, but in the long run you will save a ton on expensive pool store chemicals you didn't need in the first place.

Gboyce said:
So if the copper doesn't really affect the chlorine does it hurt to just leave it alone?
Copper can stain pool surfaces and turn blond hair green. Staining can get expensive. What type of pool surface do you have? Have you had either of those problems yet?

Gboyce said:
I appreciate your service to our country! I understand the reluctance to spend that much on a test kit, I too was reluctant at first. The test kits in the poolschool article I pointed you too will make maintaining your pool easier and likely save you money in the long run since you will know (with the help of the methods taught on here) what pool needs and exactly how much. Can you get by on a lesser kit, possibly...buy if you continue to have water clarity issues (or other issues), the cheap way to fix it starts with knowing accurately what the levels are is so that you can be most efficient (and cost effective) at dealing with the issue.

I have an above ground pool. No issues with green hair or staining at all. That was actually one of the initial reasons I went with Perma Salt as that was one of their selling points. Plus no Chlorine smell or anything else. The only issue I had other than the water was a bit cloudy was the metal on the stairs bubbled (corroded?) a bit or the paint peeled off not sure which.

Gboyce said:
I have an above ground pool. No issues with green hair or staining at all.
Then I wouldn't worry about the copper for now then, but make sure you don't add anymore. Be aware, some products such as algaecides (not all though) and a few brands of trichlor products contain copper. By the way, both of these products are not generally not recommend by us for standard pool maintenance.

Gboyce said:
Plus no Chlorine smell or anything else.
With a pool maintained properly using the methods taught here, the pool will also not have the "chlorine smell". The "chlorine smell" is actually a sign that something is not right with the pool chemistry. On the positive side of things, if you follow our methods, you pool water will be properly/safely sanitized.

Gboyce said:
The only issue I had other than the water was a bit cloudy
That is a sign of a pool that is not properly maintained. With the methods taught here, you water won't be cloudy (and never have the "chlorine smell").

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.