Buying a new Filter

Apr 11, 2013
Sewell, NJ
I have a few questions for the pool pros!

First, i'm tired of buying parts to keep my old Hayward EC65 DE filter running, so i'm going to look at a used sand filter i found on criagslist tonight. is there anything i should pay extra attention to since i won't be able to see it run? Here is the link for the filter - http://southjersey.craigslist.org/for/3687587055.html

Is that price okay?

Next, i won't have any problems converting from DE to sand will i? I'm also hooking up my current pump.

That's a good looking filter. You're lucky that the sand has been removed. The biggest things to look for are the laterals, lateral hub and standpipe. The multiport valve just to make sure it's not broken. It can be rebuilt pretty cheaply so if the spider gasket is bad it's not a big issue.

What size pool and pump do you have?

To be honest, i'm not sure how big my pool is. I just moved into the house last year and we were never told the actual size. From the research I've done and by talking to people i'm guessing its in the 28,000 gallon range. The pump i have is a 1 HP hayward Power Flo pump.

That filter is small for that pool (it is 3.14 sq. ft.). If your pool is 28000, we would recommend a minimum 5.2 sq. ft. filter. That is not to say the CL filter won't work, but you will most likely have to backwash fairly ofter (depends on local factors).

Yes they are defined differently.

For a 28,000 gallon pool general minimum recommendations would be:
400 sqft cartridge
5 sqft sand
75 sqft DE

So likely you are not happy with your DE because it is pretty small and likely fills up pretty quickly.

EDIT:
How long is your pool open? Many people with the right sized filter only have to clean it once a year ... assuming you never get algae that is.

Well, the water was pretty good last year but the bump handle broke. To repair it the parts I need are like $50, so I figured I'd just get a used one of Craigslist. I spent $50 last year repairing it. I just found an online calculator and punched in the dimensions of my pool. It said its 30,000 gallons. Think I should just scrap this filter, fix my current one and save up for a bigger (adequately sized) filter?

If you want, you can post a picture (taken from as high up as possible) and tell us the major dimensions and depths...and we can estimate the volume.

rdechristie said:
Think I should just scrap this filter, fix my current one and save up for a bigger (adequately sized) filter?
I would probably wait until you have the funds to get a better sized filter (or find a good deal on CL) unless your current filter is totally unusable. I am not very familiar with DE bump filters, but are you able to get by and still bump it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.