Can I superchlorinate a non-chlorine hot tub?

Apr 11, 2013
Bought a used hot tub about 8 months ago and for the past few weeks the mist from the tub is making my wife and I cough. We thought we might be putting in too many chemicals, but after a little online research it appears we may have some bacteria/biofilm causing the issues. Anyway, after further research it seems I need to decontaminate my tub. I've been researching about superchlorinating the tub, but I use Leisure Time Renew as a non-chlorine shock treatment and I couple that with a Nature2 cartridge. So I'm wondering if I can superchlorinate when I put the new water in, even though I use the Leisure Time Renew for my shock treatment. Is there anything else I should be doing? I'm going to try using the Spa Flush before I drain the water. Any thoughts all around? Anyone else start to cough when their tub is dirty? Thanks in advance for your time.

I probably changed the water a month or so ago. Not too long. But I believe I started coughing a little before that water change and it's gotten progressively worse over time. That's why I think the pipes might need some decontaminating. The only maintenance I've ever done is a daily shock, nature2 and some extra shock when I change the water. I did this procedure on my old spa that I had for over ten years and never had an issue. Do you think it's contaminated? Do you think a spa flush and super chlorination will help? Thanks!

I did not decontaminate it when I got it and I've never sanitized it. Didn't know I was supposed to do any of this. Is there a good way to do all this or a forum sticky I can turn to? Thanks again!

With Nature2 you can also go with an almost non-chlorine approach using non-chlorine shock (MPS), but that's more expensive to do. Don't you have the Nature2 Spa Owner's Manual? The Dichlor-then-bleach method in the post linked in the previous post is by far the least expensive, but there won't be much need for the Nature2 with that approach.

If you didn't follow the instructions and superchlorinate to start with, then you wouldn't start the release of silver ions from the cartridge so that probably contributed to why bacteria was able to grow. Of course, not decontaminating initially could have biofilms in the pipes and not using sanitizer regularly, especially if the silver ions weren't getting released, let bacteria grow. Well, at least now you know.

For decontamination, you can use Spa System Flush to thoroughly clean out the pipes of any biofilms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.