Under construction in AZ, tile on bench question

Dec 14, 2011
I am in the process of having my pool built and have a question regarding tile on a bench. The pool is rectangular, 40ft X15ft. The pool has a bench along one of the sides that is 40 feet long. I wanted to have the bench tiled with 6 inch by 6 inch tile. However my pool builder told me that I cant' have 6 inch tile on the bench because it would make it too slippery. He is recommending that I go with 1 inch by 1 inch tile instead. I prefer the larger tile because of the look. Any comments on installing tile on benches? Do you think that it would indeed make it too slippery?

We plan to use the bench for seating and the Pebble Sheen can be a little rough. So I figured that tile would be more comfortable on the skin and gentler on swimsuits.

The tile would be the same that is used on the water line or inside the pool, so it would not have a problem being completely submerged.

Both my fathers pool in Scottsdale and my last home in Peoria Az both had Pebble sheen seats and my wife is pretty sensitive and never complained it was too rough. I hope someone else chimes in that has put tile on there seats.

I have a bench along the entire length of my pool that is pebble tech with a single 6x6 tile every 2 ft just for looks. But the benches in my spa are fully tiled with 6x6 tiles. There are steps with pebble surface, so entry in non slip. It would be too slippery stepping down onto the tiled bench directly.

[attachment=0:20i5e79a]033.JPG[/attachment:20i5e79a]I think the tile makes the benches stand out and breaks up he plain pebble surface, I have my benches and steps in 1x1 titles stacked together so the tile is a 2x2 they do no make he steps and benches slippery at all and look nice in my opinion

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 123
Thank you all for your feedback. We will go with the 1 X 1 tile part of the benches, and all the benches in the spa. It just makes me feel more comfortable with the decision knowing that others feel that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.