1st test with the TF Kit

FIRST... a big thank you to Dave! I ordered a kit just a little over 24 hours ago and I received my kit earlier today! Great job!

Ok.. here are my numbers:

PH 7.8
FC 11.5
CC .5
TC 12
TA 160
CYA 25

The kit seemed easy enough to use and I can follow directions just as good as the next guy I guess but I wanted you folks to see what I came up with (and to brag about getting the kit in just a days time.) :p

Congratulations!

Your numbers look good if you are shocking the pool.

Your PH is a little high, not an issue yet but don't let it go higher. Your TA is a little high, but not a big deal. And your CYA is a little low, but again not a big deal.

Hey, Axl,

Thanks for the compliment. I am appreciative.

Well, I know your water looks good 'cause you posted pics so here's what I'd work on over the next few days. No hurry on anything because your numbers are pretty decent.

pH - Using muraitic acid and Jason's calc, bring your pH down to 7.2-7.6

FC - let it drift on down until it reaches about 3 or so, then bring it back up to around 6 and keep it in that range all summer

CYA - I'd double it. Add enough to get to 50 but be careful not to overshoot. again use Jason's calc. You'll save on chlorine loss if you bring your CYA up to that level.

T/A - Read up on lowering your T/a in the "stickies" section. It's a pretty big task and there's no hurry but ideally, it would be better around 80-120

That's it. Very quickly, you'll get a feel for what your pool needs and will only use the kit for back-up once every couple of weeks. For now, I think you'd do well to use the little blue plastic box (K-1000) to test Daily for Cl and pH and then do a full set of tests once each week until you lnow your pool. Stay on the forum and ask lots of questions. :lol:

I dug up my old post from exactly two weeks ago... (instead of making a whole new one)

Anyways, my pool is really looking good. Nice and sparkly water. :-D I feel like Ive got a handle on what all needs to be done... but plz doublecheck me.

PH 7.6
FC 2
CC 0
TC 2
CYA 40
TA 170

So according to the CYA/Chlorine chart, I am low on FC by basically 1ppm? At 40 CYA I should never let the FC be lower than 3... correct? And I should really try and hold it at about 4.5? I have added CYA very slowly because Dave said to "double it" and I dont want to overshoot. So my target is to have something between 45 and 50 CYA? My whole purpose of the particular post is to make sure I understand the CYA/Chlorine chart. I see that its basically a 1 PPM of chlorine difference needed between 40 CYA and 50 CYA for the target chlorine reading.

Im thinking that the Alk will come on down now that the pool is really starting to be used on a daily basis.

I have some Calcium that I got before I found this forum so I guess Ill use that up once I get everything else dialed in. (CH is 48) Not that it really matters.

It sounds like you have a great understanding of everything. One way to do the FC level is to figure out what level of FC in the evening will result in the FC being at least 3 the next evening after a sunny day. Depending on how much sun you get that could be anything from 4 to 7, and will also change over the course of the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.