Backfill AG pool with clumpy clay dirt

Feb 22, 2013
I have a 18X24 above ground pool just installed it,s filled up about 3/4. My problem is I need to back fill but my dirt is clay and it's hard as a rock, how can get it less clumpy so I can back fill. Thanks for your help :(

I'm not sure how much help I can be but our dirt was a lot of hard clay (the kind you can't even break apart when you smack the heck out of it with a shovel) and some good top soil mixed in which they backfilled with a skid loader. My only advice would be to make sure you have some dirt left to fill in once there is settling.

We have already added dirt once this past weekend after we had a few days of decent rain and experienced some settling but this picture is from today.
You can see on the wall of the pool where the dirt level was and where it is now after the past two days of heavy rain we have had:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.