Reduced Flow with my Pump

Jul 9, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
I opened yesterday and noticed in my initial prime of the pump that the flow was not nearly as strong as it has been in prior years. As I progressed through the three lines, it never seemed to show any increase in strength. I tried backwashing which did not seem to result in any improvement. I left it running as I felt a somewhat strong inflow back into the pool at the jets.

Thinking back to last year, I remember how when I closed the pool, it seemed to take over twice as long to pump down the pool as it had in previous years. Now remembering back even further, I do recall a time last year when I came home from work to notice the pool not circulating. When I checked on the pump, it was going, but no water was moving through it. When I looked into the basket, I could see the water churning, and when I shut the pump off and opened the cover, the water was so hot it was steaming. At that time, I backwashed, and the pump seemed to operate fine. Now I am thinking that all of that was the ultimate cause of this reduced flow.

Can anyone venture a guess as to what occurred last year and is precipitating my issues this year with restricted flow? Could that heat have damaged the impeller? What things should I look for in trying to troubleshoot what is happening now?

Looking forward to another great year of useful exchanges on troublefreepool!

Then try spend the $15 and get one of the liquid filled ones ... unless you are saying that none have worked out of the box, which would indicate some other problem with the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It almost sounds like there is a problem with the filter in that the gauge is not ported into the chamber.

Are you saying that you have never had a gauge register anything? I would have made the PB replace the filter if it is not functioning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.