Help with SWG and chlorine level

Oct 23, 2012
I seem to be having a problem maintaining my FC level, here are my recent test results using TF100 kit

FC - 0
CC - 0.5
TC - 0.5
PH - 7.5
TA - 70
CYA - betweren 90 - 100 ( i know a bit high)
CH - 200
Salt 3400
temperatur of water 63 degrees.

My issue is with the SWG and if it is working properly, as well as my manual additions of chlorine.
My VSP pump runs for 4 hours on 65% then another 8 hours on 35%
My SWG is set for 65% This is where i start (maybe continue is a better word) to have questions.
The SWG stops generating chlorine after 2 hours at the 65% speed with a message that percentage has been met.
I have tested FC 2 hours after this message and get the 0 reading.
I have ran the option for super chlorinate which runs the filter and SWG for 24 hours, this was done from 1:00pm - 1:00 pm following day.
This gave me a FC reading of 9.5 (didn't test CC at thsi point)
Later that evening at around 7:30 I had a FC level of 0.5. I would have thought that even in direct sunlight in 85 degree weather in NJ that the CYA of 90 - 100 would have held the level higher than that after 6 hours. Am I wrong in this assumption?
I have even added 128oz of 8.25% bleach and got a reading of 3.5. This was at 5:00 in the evening on a seperate night, but the level didn't hold for longer than 2 hours, at which point i was down to 1.

With this being my first pool, brand new construction and first time operating, I guess my main question is where do I go from here?

You almost certainly have a low level algae problem, enough algae to use up all your chlorine but not enough to be visually obvious. If you want you can confirm this by doing an overnight FC loss test, but the tests you have already done make it fairly obvious. You are going to need to shock the pool (see Pool School for instructions).

Thank you. I think I will do the over night test just to confirm and wait for the weekemd before I shock it. Temps are going to drop the next couple of days and if I get the FC back in check the SWG will not generate chlorine because the temps will be too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.