Gunite Sealer?

Apr 10, 2013
I'm in the process of choosing a pool company to install a pool in Katy TX. This will be my second pool and one of the proposals includes gunite sealer. The sealer would be applied over the gunite which will later be covered with pebbletec. Does anyone have a perspective on whether gunite sealer is usefull? I've never heard of using it under the plaster.

Thanks.

Some central Texas pool contractors are using Aquafin or similar sealers to minimize the possibility of water coming through gunite due to high water tables. The sealer will soak several inches into the existing gunite and fill the void spaces to make it less permeable. Normally, you should not need a sealer under pebbletech. If you have a submerged area adjacent to or in the pool (like a bar to the side of the pool or extending into the pool) that has water on one side and air on the other (with maybe a tile coating) - it is not a bad idea to apply sealer to the pool side (or both sides) of these areas - in case there is any hairline crack in the plaster, the sealer will help minimize any seeping water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.