Pump advice please

MeSue

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Florida
Hello folks... it's that time of year again!

I am needing to replace my pump. Mine has gotten so noisy I can only run it at night. Looking at 2 speed because my Aqua Bug vacuum turns into a snail with the one speed I have now. Would this be a good choice? If not, what should I look for?

Pentair 347990 OptiFlo Vertical Discharge 1HP Above Ground Pool Pump Dual Speed Motor with 3' Standard Cord, 115V
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pentair- ... 347990.htm

18' x 54" round AGP
200# sand filter, not sure of diameter... it's huge, though
Aqua Trol SWG

MeSue:

:goodjob: on looking at 2-speeds.

Two questions: (1) What is the HP rating of your current pump (ideally the HP times the Service Factor - should be located on the pump label), and (2) Aside from the noise, have you noticed a reduction in the flow rate of your current pump?

Also assuming you have already checked out and cleaned any in-line filters that are part of the Aqua Bug vac.

I think it is a 1 HP, but we can not find it written anywhere on the label. It's a Waterway hi-flo, and it was given to me used with the filter a few years ago so I don't have any records on it. Some of the labels might have faded or worn off. I have not noticed a reduction in flow rate, it's just very noisy.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

Your current pump is a good one so if you wanted to replace it with the same thing, that would be fine.

You could also replace just the motor if the pump wet end is in good shape.

MeSue:

Didn't mean to leave you hanging. Soon after my post, I had to go out of town & just got back. Reading the posts of others who responded to your question, it looks like you are in good hands :cheers:

Ordered the Pentair and it should be here in 2 days. All our previous pumps have been Waterway and have not lasted. Maybe we'll have better luck with Pentair.

Getting hot here in FL... looking forward to being up and running soon!

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.