DE filter bump vs grid opinions

Apr 9, 2013
Hi all,
Long time pool owner (egad, has it really been 25 years?), first time poster.

It's time to replace the original (circa 1968) American Titan DE filter and I'm wondering about bump vs grid technology. I like the idea of being able to reuse the DE media a few times, but not if it comes at the expense of more frequent filter maintenance. We get a good deal of dust, both very fine and fairly coarse (wind blows from the desert), and my wife is fanatic about sparkling clear water. I'd also like a filter that can give at least 15-20 years of service (with occasional tube/grid changes etc) so I don't ever have to replace it again.

In-ground pool + spa; I forget the size offhand but the old filter was 36 sq ft (I think). I'll probably go a bit larger this time in hopes of less frequent service. I'm near Los Angeles if that makes any difference (medium hot, medium dry climate).

Opinions, experiences, brickbats all cheerfully accepted :)

- Randall

Have you considered a cartridge filter? Good ones can filter down to about 10 microns (much smaller than you can see) and you don't have to mess with DE.

I have a Hayward EC-75 and am very happy with it, I am actually on my second one due to some roofing workers taking it upon themselves to "help out" and destroy the first one, they decided to clean the filter after accidentally dumping all sorts of junk in the pool. From what I have read it seems these filters are prone to failure if you allow them to become too clogged, as long as you check the pressure rise and bump them as needed they seem to work great, they just don't handle neglect and abuse.

When I replaced my DE filter I went with a good sized sand filter and filled it with zeo-sand or zeolite as different suppliers call it and I couldn't be any happier with the decision. I too was worried about water clarity as I have seen some pools with sand filters that had some very dull looking water. The zeo keeps my water every bit as clear as the the DE kept it. It amazes me that more people don't use the zeo. I live in the deep south where it is hot as heck unless it's raining and we can get both in the same day, if that makes any difference in filter choices.

You do have to backwash really good a couple of times when you start up the filter with the zeo as it has a lot of dust in it when you buy it. The maintainance doesn't get any easier than a sand filter. Backwash a few minutes, rinse for maybe a minute and you're done. I don't miss taking apart filters at all.

We get a very high complaint rate for zeo media. When it works it is great but for many people it causes major problems.

Bump filters are almost always smaller, while grid filters are larger. There is a small range where both designs overlap, but for the most part the size of the filter determines which style you should get.

I have a DE filter and I use fiberclear. It filters great. I don't find the cleaning to be too burdensome. I just did it last weekend. Fiberclear is cellulose. I backwash it onto the front lawn. The lawn seems to thrive on it. Maybe I go too long between cleanings or something, but it doesn't backwash as good as they claim, but still better than DE. So I open the thing and blast it loose with a hose nozzle while the valve is open and most of it runs out. No disassembly. Then a second backwash finishes it.

I wish I had a multiport valve instead of an awkward-to-reach lever beneath the filter, but I'm not sure it would drain out while I'm hosing it off.

Thanks, guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back here.

I was looking at the Hayward EC75A bump type, which is slightly larger than my current fixed grid filter.

Cartridges don't really appeal to me; especially on the occasions where I mess up and get an algae bloom. Nearly $50 for a cartridge change (in the size I need) as opposed to just a couple of bucks for DE powder (that I can buy at Home Depot less than a mile from my house). No doubt I'd feel differently if I couldn't just backwash the DE down the drain, where it eventually gets returned to earth as soil/compost.

Another point that I forgot to mention before; for me, backwashing helps maintain the quality of the water in the pool. We get a lot of evaporation and without periodically discarding part of the water (which gets recycled for irrigation), the hardness in the pool just keeps going up.

Still not sure which way I'll go, but I'm leaning towards the system I already know. One problem is that the bottom of the filter is below my drain and I don't really have a backyard to let it drain onto. The backwash line, trap, etc. is already in place and just works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.