Water Testing

Fields

Jan 31, 2013
Columbia, SC
My pool hasn't been installed yet, but I want to test my fill water. I will be using tap water to fill the pool. My question is what should I test for, or do I test for everything? Thanks in advance for all responses.

I am assuming you have a proper test kit? Test...TA, ph, CH. Skip the cya test, there won't be any. Are you on city water? If yes, then you may get a measurable level of FC and CC, which is normal. Are you on a well? If yes, then you may want bring a sample to a store that can check for metals. Even when on city water your can still have metals present, so it might be good to check on that source too.

Ok, I just completed my first water testing, yayy me!! I did everything the instruction card said to do. Keep in mind my pool hasn't been installed, just testing the water and getting used to my TF-100 kit. Here are the numbers.
FC= 5
TC= 8.5
TA= 40
CH= 40
I didn't do the CYA test.
I hate to be a bother, but what exactly does this mean? I think it means that I won't have to add bleach. Help please. Oh and I used the Pool Calculator and it said to add 211 oz (weight) or 169 oz (volume) of baking soda and 489 oz (weight) or 390 oz (volume) of calcium chloride. Can someone explain this? Thanks.

Those are some surprisingly high FC and TC numbers for tap water ... these results seem suspect to me. Can you describe how you did the test?

Your TA is a little low and the CH will be fine since you will have a vinyl liner.

Did you do the pH test? Also do the yellow OTO test that is with the pH test and report those results.

Fields said:
Ok, I just completed my first water testing, yayy me!! I did everything the instruction card said to do. Keep in mind my pool hasn't been installed, just testing the water and getting used to my TF-100 kit. Here are the numbers.
FC= 5
TC= 8.5
TA= 40
CH= 40
I hate to be a bother, but what exactly does this mean? I think it means that I won't have to add bleach. Help please.
Yowza! I bet that water tastes lousy with that much chlorine in it!

You need to do the pH test as well. pH and TA are the critical ones to tell you how much acid or baking soda or borax you'll need to add. I'm guessing it's an above ground pool, so low CH doesn't really matter. That FC will be gone in one day as soon as the sun hits it, so prepare for that, too. Study Pool School and bookmark the pool calculator and you should be fine.

Fields said:
FC= 5
TC= 8.5
TA= 40
CH= 40
I hate to be a bother, but what exactly does this mean? I think it means that I won't have to add bleach. Help please.

No, you will have to add chlorine. The level in your city water will vary, and it will drop in your pool from various sources of demand. Organics and sunlight being the two primary causes of demand. Five PPM FC is really pretty high for drinking water, but that is the legal high limit in Texas. Likely where you are too.

Richard320 said:
Fields said:
FC= 5
TC= 8.5
TA= 40
CH= 40
Yowza! I bet that water tastes lousy with that much chlorine in it!

You need to do the pH test as well. pH and TA are the critical ones to tell you how much acid or baking soda or borax you'll need to add. I'm guessing it's an above ground pool, so low CH doesn't really matter. That FC will be gone in one day as soon as the sun hits it, so prepare for that, too. Study Pool School and bookmark the pool calculator and you should be fine.

:lol: Honestly I don't drink the water! I may have done something wrong. I try it again later. Thanks for all of your help.

Report your pH and do the FC test once more. You likely had a testing error on the FC (that's common at first)

Chlorine is a consumable item and will need to be constantly replenished in your pool.

Your other parameters are fine for now.

You are very wise to practice with the kit....you'll be an old pro by the time your pool is set up.

It is very possible you may not need to add anything but CYA when you first fill. As you know, there is no need to test for CYA in your tap water because it has non.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.