Chlorine-Free...has anyone heard of E-Z Pool?

May 22, 2008
Has anyone ever heard of E-Z Pool? We have used Baquacil for 7 years and tired of the $$$ so we looked in a salt gen, but they are also expensive. We have an aboveground 24ft round pool, one of the pool places recommended this new chlorine-free product (in our area). I was told that we only need this product, it is not necessary to have any other product (no shocking, no algaecide...) and you just add a couple scoops of the product every week.

I can find precious little about this product, except that some online 'stores' sell an "E-Z Pool starter kit" that contains the E-Z Pool chemical, 3" chlorine tablets, and test strips.....

There are no truly chlorine-free methods that actually keep your pool safe and sanitary for the long haul.

Better off converting to chlorine and leaving the snake oil out!

I concur... before the pool I have now I had a small 15' round above ground that came with my last house in Buffalo... I was the typical pool newbie that was completely clueless and went to the nearby pool store and bought what they said and did what they said. The stuff they had me use was called Easy Blue if I remember right... they pitched it like you said, just a scoop of this magic powder every now and then and you're good to go. The stuff was crazy expensive... like $30 a tub and I'd go through a tub a week or so...

Long story short, I sold that house, moved to Arizona, built an in-ground gunite pool and started learning (mostly via this site). Chlorine is the way to go, all the 'snake oil' the pool stores sell is expensive and ineffective.

Start your education off by reading the stickes (see Mermaid's signature), go to walmart and buy some bleach, and convert yourself away from that baquacrap and onto a trouble free pool!

confusedpoolowner said:
Thanks...The pool place gave me a flyer and there is little information except that it is a concentrated pool blend.
Do you recommend chlorine tablets or I have been reading about the BBB system?

The big drawback about the tablets is that they contain stabilizer (CYA) that'll eventually reach high levels and make the chlorine ineffective. BBB is the way to go if you choose not to use a salt system.

EZ pool has been around for a while and before it was called EZ pool it was called Chlor Free and sold as a sanitizer until that was stopped. It is a non chlorine, non MPS oxidizer along with other things in the mix. My guess is that is is sodium percarbonate, dry acid ,and mostl likely some copper sulfate since their website mentions testing the copper levels.
I would stay away from it.

I just threw the last of mine out.

I had used EZ-Spa with my hot tub years ago, and so when we bought our Intex inflatable pool, we used EZ-Pool. It seemed to work well in the hot tub, but after I learned more about pool chemistry, I was smart enough to keep it in the garage for our new AG pool.

So I cleaned out the garage this weekend and it is no more!

Can anyone provide some information about the newest advances in chlorine-free systems in swimming pools? Some sources say copper and silver is the way to go, others say copper and stainless steel, etc....so many different opinions...what to believe...? Ideally speaking it would be great to have no need for chlorine. Any suggestions?

Samui Sunshine, welcome to TFP!

The latest advance in chlorine free pools is to actually use chlorine. Nearly everything anyone ever told you about the risks of using chlorine is either false or misleading. Chlorine is just fine when used properly. There are are only three sanitizers approved by the EPA in the US for use in swimming pools: chlorine, bromine, and baquacil. Bromine is impractical for use outdoors, works alright indoors. Baquacil has several problems, read our Bacquacil area. That leaves chlorine. If you don't use one of those three chemicals you are putting your life and the lives of your friends and family at risk.

We are currently using it. My wife prefers it to chlorine because it doesn't bother her skin or clothing. Although, honestly, most of the pools we have been in have been hotel type pools and I think they over chlorinate. I have enough EZPool for about half a season and will likely go chlorine and/or bbb after that is gone. It is extremely expensive. I was told it would work out to be cheaper b/c you needed less other chemicals...but I still end up adding a ph adjuster and calcium hardness adjuster quite freqently along with other balancing chems. We had a large group of people over easter weekend and they like being able to open their eyes underwater but I'm not sure it is worth it. Best I can tell, if I stop the easy pool, I just up the Chlorine.

I'd pass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why can't you open your eyes in a pool using chlorine as a sanitizer? If you are talking about a pool that smells like chlorine then I understand. I don't swim in those because that's a pool with a problem (either a problem that is developing, or a problem that the owner is in the process of fixing).

I use chlorine and you can open your eyes all day in my pool without any ill effects (except for a week last year while I was fixing a problem - mustard algae). Swim in my pool everyday all summer and your hair won't change color and your swimming suit will last until you wear it out (or out grow it - the grill area is close to the pool). Your skin will feel soothed (OK that might be the borates), unless you get a sunburn from spending too much time out there.

And I'm betting this is true of most pools here on TFP whose owners understand and use their test kits to maintain their pool chemistry according to the experts here. Is there any credible, peer-reviewed scientific evidence for health risks from using chlorine appropriately in a residential pool?

Sorry if that sounded like a rant. I got carried away.
Kelly

Eye irritation in swimming pools is usually a result of CCs or PH that's out of whack. A properly chlorinated pool will not irrate skin, eyes or bleach hair, it will not damage swimsuits. Often the concentration of chlorine in indoor pools like hotels - is too high and/or the chemistry is not maintained properly and swimming in those pools presents all sorts of problems - but those problems should not be blamed on "chlorine" in general - the manufacturs of these "chlorine-free" concepts just use marketing to make people think chlorine is bad. It's not the chlorine.
EZ pool is not cheaper than the methods taught on this forum. Can't get any cheaper than BBB.

When my stock of EZ Pool is gone, I'm probably switching to BBB or something similar. For reference... 20 pounds of EZ Pool is around 190.00 (online price--way more expensive in pool store). In my pool it takes 2.5 pounds per week. Very expensive.

:shock: that is soo expensive! I use bleach, tis all I have needed to add to the pool in three years, until this past May when I needed to increase the CYA a little, and then August when I need to increase the PH a tad and had to buy 1 box of Borax.

I use about 1 large jug of 6% per week in the summer, or $2.54 per week. If I did my math correctly, you are paying $23.75 for 2.5 lbs a week!

By the way, if you have blonde family members, Nexxus makes a shampoo called "Aloe Rid" that gets the green tint out of the hair that's caused by the copper in EZpool. Works very well.

I found reference to it in another thread, and found this quote.

waterbear said:
I believe you are referring to EZ POOL. This product has been around for a while (and under more than one name). It it a proprietary combination product that has very little info available about what is actually in it but if you go to the manufacturers webpage there is some eye opening info. Their testing procedure for the oxidizer component in it is the same as the testing procedure for a non chlorine shock (which also needs to be dosed weekly, btw) and they also make reference to testing the copper levels which implies that this product contains copper sulfate. The caution about predissolving for plaster pools adds confirmation to this.
I suspect that the oxidizer in it is NOT MPS but sodium percarbonate just from some of the things they say on thier website. Two of their other products, while they don't list the ingredients, are used in the same way as sodium percarbonate (as a shock for biguanide pools and to convert biguanide to chlorine.) They do state that the bigunaide shock is NOT MPS.
I would stay far away from this product!

Also, there is no mention of EPA registraition numbers (not suprising since they only claim the product is an oxidizier and not a sanitizer) and there seem to be NO MSDS available for any of their products.

Here is some info on it from Poolforum. Pay close attention to what PoolDoc (Ben, the administrator of PF and TRULY the Pool Guru that got us ALL on BBB!) has to say about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.