Tips requested on how best to clean pump strainer basket

LA2240

Bronze Supporter
Dec 1, 2012
My current method to clean debris from the pump strainer basket is to turn off the pump circuit breaker, slowly vent the filter until there is no more air draw, and then take off the strainer basket cover and clean out the basket. The problem with my method is that inevitably there is some backflow from the basket to the incoming suction line which pulls out some of the debris before I remove the cover to clean the basket. After starting up again, that upstream debris ends up back in the basket so that the basket is immediately "dirty" again.

Is there a better way to do this so that I can remove ALL the debris at each clean out?

Funny you should post~I'm a neebie as well and also frustrated. The way I see it; either placement of a check-valve (one way) or manual valve very near the intake of the pump. Not too sure the check-valve is advisable (may cause other problems down the road-debris slipping past skimmer/cleaner). Maybe the experts will advise?

I have a cartridge filter.

Why wouldn't I still have to bleed? The strainer basket is full to the cover, and I'm not dying to try the experiment of pulling it off when completely full and having gallons spill over. Or does a vacuum in the filter prevent that problem?

The vacuum in the filter actually does prevent all but a tiny bit of water from coming out of the pump basket. In fact if left full it may siphon the other way toward the pool. Instead of backing out of the pump basket.

Follow up question on the multiport diverter valve. Mine is operated by a Compool automation system with an electric actuator. I can manually override to set the valve in any position. However, it looks like the three positions are <pool suction><both suction><spa suction>. There does not appear to be any "closed" position. In other words, the pump can continue to draw and pump water in any possible position on the diverter valve.

Suggestions further to "close the diverter valve"?

Am I the only one that just turns off the pump and opens the basket without moving any valves? Water never spills out. The water in the basket drains back into the pool through the suction line. But, the filter water does not drain back into the pump ... maybe I am blessed with a sealed system or the filter actually drains a little forward to the pool through the returns pulling in air through the pump?

One of those things that I never really thought of as being complicated. Although I certainly understand if the pump was below the pool water level, valve must be used ... but I know I have read where someone would actually open the valve a bit to let remaining debris in the pump get washed out the top of the pump.

Jason ... I'll give that a try ... I just always assumed with a full cartridge filter standing taller than the pump and with the strainer basket completely full of water, I need to drain first.

If this works, I definitely got what I was looking for by asking the question.

Thx.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Am I the only one that just turns off the pump and opens the basket without moving any valves? Water never spills out. The water in the basket drains back into the pool through the suction line. But, the filter water does not drain back into the pump ... maybe I am blessed with a sealed system or the filter actually drains a little forward to the pool through the returns pulling in air through the pump?

One of those things that I never really thought of as being complicated. Although I certainly understand if the pump was below the pool water level, valve must be used ... but I know I have read where someone would actually open the valve a bit to let remaining debris in the pump get washed out the top of the pump.

I loosen the filter basket cover, remove it swiftly, then quickly block the inlet pipe with my hand.

jblizzle said:
Although I certainly understand if the pump was below the pool water level, valve must be used ... but I know I have read where someone would actually open the valve a bit to let remaining debris in the pump get washed out the top of the pump.

That's definitely me, or could have been me. My pump was/is below water level on both my pools and set-ups were/are such that spills were not a problem. Leave the valve open, let it flow over, dump the basket and then plunge it up and down in the flowing water to clean it out. Close lid. I've been doing it for almost fifty years.

In my old set-up the bonus was the sump got fired up and run for a few seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.