St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
I took the mesh cover off on April 4th and tested the water. Water level was below the skimmers but above the returns, clear but a lot of algae on the bottom and walls. Water temp was 55, FC=0, pH < 6.8, TA=20, CH=90, CYA=70. I got the water level up, circulating, in balance, and started the shock process. I’ve added liquid chlorine 12.5% using the chlorine/CYA chart and pool calculator at least twice a day (to the tune of 33 gallons). Testing prior to each 2nd daily dosing the FC=0 or slightly above and the CC was high (a good thing) until yesterday. At this moment the FC=11.5 and has been holding above 9 since last evening with minor adjustments to keep at shock level. Temp=62, pH=7.5, TA-120, CH=70, CYA=40. The water is still quite green and I don’t think it has improved in color at all. I’ve brushed the pool on day 1 and again today. Of course, now I can’t see the bottom or even a few inches into the water. Am I on track or am I missing something? Also, I see a lot of muck going into the skimmers but when I attempted to backwash today the sight glass ran clear from the beginning. I've got good circulation but not sure I'm filtering. Ideas?

Maybe I am misreading, but you also mention that your FC= 0 when you add your second daily dose of chlorine? You need to keep it at shock level throughout the process.

Bama Rambler said:
Is your multiport valve set on filter or recirc?
What's your filter pressure running?
Thanks for the reply, Bama Rambler, I'm filtering. The pressure gauge is broken and showing 0. I've ordered a new one which should arrive Friday. The returns are pushing a lot of water with nice pressure and the water is moving around the pool.

Pauls234 said:
Maybe I am misreading, but you also mention that your FC= 0 when you add your second daily dose of chlorine? You need to keep it at shock level throughout the process.
No Pauls234, you read this correctly. I've been checking/adding in the morning and again in the evening after I return from work. I understand that it needs to stay at shock levels but it depleted quickly and unfortunately, I couldn't babysit it 24/7. The FC is holding much better now but the pool remains green.

Anything you can do to keep the level up at/slightly above your pools shocking FC level, will speed up the process. Over-shooting a little above the shock level can help it last longer, though I wouldn't make that standard process. The more you drop below your pools shock FC value, the longer it takes.

wollerd said:
I've been checking/adding in the morning and again in the evening after I return from work.
When you are home, I would check every hour (until bed time) and redose appropriately. At least then you will be making hay while your there.

Besides that you need POP (pool owner patience).

Thank you linen,

I've enlisted friends and family to watch over things while I'm out of the house. Shock level is 16ppm and I've only lost 2ppm in the last 4 hours. This is much better than the past few days. The CC is <1. Patience? {sigh} I'm working on it...

It sounds like you are making good progress now that your FC is holding longer. Just remember, don't quit until you meet all three end of shocking criteria simultaneously (they are in my sig).

I really don't see the progress any longer. My main issue at this time is the color/content of the water. This is my first year with the pool but I did see it in the late summer and it was clear. I've retested the CYA and I settled on the averaged high side at 50, FC is holding at 22 overnight, the CC is 0, and the temp is 62. The pictures below are from day 1, day 6, and day 7. I've put a lot of liquid chlorine in (36 gal) and expect to see gray or clear water by now. Thoughts or ideas? Thanks, as always!

Attachments

• sm_2013-Day-7.jpg
    sm_2013-Day-7.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 274
  • sm_2013-pool-day-6.jpg
    sm_2013-pool-day-6.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 273
  • sm_2013-pool-day-1.jpg
    sm_2013-pool-day-1.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 273
You have it all but killed. It's that blue-gray color that shows the algae is dead or nearly so. brushing a couple of times a day or running your cleaner will speed things along a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the quick responses. I have brushed but will increase frequency. I can't see the bottom but have run the Tigershark and it is picking up a lot of debris. So... my frustration is in vain? I'm still on the right track and brushing and running the cleaner should clear things up in the "near" future?

Keep up the good work. I looked at green pool threads all last summer and the color change in your pics looks great for 1 week. After this year you might start thinking about keeping some chlorine in your pool to prevent all this work.....I haven't researched that so don't know what folks do about it now but years ago i maintained a concrete pool and they told me to just put a bucket of chlorine pucks in....that pool musta been loaded with CYA LOL.

I wonder what dumping 2 gallons of bleach per week when your pool is closed would do?

If you can, net out the debris it will be much quicker than the cleaner. Are you able to check your filter pressure yet? Make sure you are still getting a good return flow and if it seems weaker at all, time to backwash the filter. It is improving and you should turn that corner soon, but you need to help it out as much as you can by brushing and removing the debris.

Thank you all for the sage advice. Although there is a lot of muck on the pool floor I'm unable to scoop it out. The robot is doing a pretty good job but I'd say most of the problem is with the very fine particles in the water. I've read the DE article before and think that's a good idea. I'll get some in the morning.

Day 12. I anticipated some improvement but really don’t see much. Daily robot use is only picking up small amounts of dirt as expected and worms (rainy night). Still very cloudy and can't see the bottom. I think it’s likely a filtration problem. I installed a new pressure gauge and the pressure has not risen until I added some DE. When I backwash I find the sight glass stays nearly clear. I visually inspected the sand in January digging down about two-three inches and found it clean without odor. No clumps. Channeling? I don’t know. My numbers have looked great for 10 days. FC=20, CC=.5, pH=7.8, TA=130, CH=80, CYA=50. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• sm_2013-cloudy-pool-day-12.jpg
    sm_2013-cloudy-pool-day-12.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 177
  • sm_2013-pool-day-12.jpg
    sm_2013-pool-day-12.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 177

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.