Pool draining

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Hi,
My brother's pool has a high level of calcium. I told him he has to drain his pool, but he said that he needed to know whether there is water underneath the pool since it will cause the pool to push out of the ground. Do you know where he would find that information? He's looked online and even called the local water people, but to no avail. Thanks! He lives in LA, specifically in the Westlake, Agoura Hills, area.

I have been going through the same thing in Virginia and have not been able to find any one that can tell me the water table in my area. Even though I was told someone in the Parks department should be able to tell me. However I do know that my pool has two hydrostatic plugs on the bottom and hopefully a hydrostatic valve in one of the main drains.

My understanding is that I can drain the pool and still have some time (hours) once it is empty to get them open before the pool would be lifted if that was a possibility. I imagine that the higher the water table the less time I would have to open the plugs. However I have no strong evidence that this is the case. So out of precaution I am trying to do this after about 10 straight days of no rain in hopes that this will dry the ground enough if there is an issue with the water table.

I have also been told that if the house has an inground basement that there should not be an issue with the water table unless the pool is deeper than the basement.

Rahter than drain the entire pool, do so in increments of one foot or so if you are concerned about the water table.

It DOES use more water but not as much as you might think if you do the math.

How much water has to be replaced to reach your target number? If you can leave some water in the pool it may be a non issue.

Just thinking out loud...a person can buy a post hole digger for about $20. If you dug a 6" dia hole as deep as your pool is and never encountered water, or let it sit like that for a day and water never seeped into the hole, would that indicate the water table is lower than your pool?

I live in Houston where we don't have basements because of the water table. I had to drain a lot of water to lower my cya from 200 to about 65. I was concerned about the water table. I was able to drain 14" without having any issues. I did about 5 drains overall, most about 6-7", but the big one was 14".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.