Not sure how to use DE filter?

Jun 26, 2007
We just purchased a used Hayward DE filter and 1 1/2 hp pump for our 24' above ground pool. Of course, buying it used, there were no directions. Reading about the filter online, I found to add the DE through the skimmer box, 6 coffee cans full, and refill after backwashing. The only problem is that it is constantly losing suction and pressure. The pressure guage reads 15, but there is little to nothing coming out of the return jet. I tried backflushing and adding more DE, but within an hour it was back to the low pressure. Our pool is pretty clean, we had some algae so there is a slight blue haze, but I wouldn't think this is normal. Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong? There is also some pump lever on the top, but I have no idea what to do with this??

Thanks for any help!

DE filters can require very frequent backwashing with dirty water. I think I would clean the grids on a filter that had been used. You could have caked DE or just general crud in the grids which can greatly reduce the filter area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.