Landscape around Intex Pool?

Jul 15, 2012
I'm putting up a 20' Intex round ultra frame this year, and just wondering what the consensus is for landscaping the rest of the bare dirt around the pool? I was thinking some stone, but I don't want the stone sitting directly against the wall of the pool. What options are there? Thanks.

I want maintenance free. I'm actually in NY and my plan is to try and keep the pool up year round and just winterize it in the winter. And obviously don't want to spend much. Ideally just a border around the pool.

Sorry, cany help much with the cold-climate planting, I'm a SE Texas boy. However, I'm guessing the Juniper type ground cover would be hardy enough for cold climates (in well-drained soil). It's what I used for border planting (time will tell). I would start with that and make a trip to the local Garden Centers and confirm, then just pick some other ground cover/shrubs they have/recommend.
Here are some good links; dont get your heart set on the ones they reference (not always feasible/available), but good reference for climate, draining, soild types, etc..
http://www.landscape-design-advice.com/ ... signs.html
http://www.gilbertaz.gov/water/popups/poolplants.cfm
Junipers
http://www.wilsonbroslandscape.com/Grou ... ipers.html

I have trimmed the tarp and insulation down to abt 8" from the feet of the pool. Now I plan to wrap the vinyl baseboard (picture provided)around the legs and secure with zip ties. Once that is done I'll be making a concrete stone path around the pool. I purchased a mold and will use quickrete to build them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 562
I'm in Hamilton NJ. We survived sandy too! If you search on my posts I loaded photos under another thread last year. It shows the landscaping we did

We have a salt water pool. For closing I picked up a closing chemical kit and added that and ran filter for a day then emptied half of water. Dummy me forgot that just cuz you unplugged the pump doesn't mean you stopped the siphon. Poof empty pool! That was ok. Tho. We had a broken block under one of the legs so we fixed that ran to the pool store and grabbed another set of closing chemicals and filled the pool half way up again. About 4 inches below the lowest filter hole. We have a 9x18 ultra frame so I picked up 4 pillows that completely covered the surface and covered with an oval winter cover. It ended up being about even with the top frame. We did bungees and cement blocks all the way around the outside and picked up a cover pump that keeps water off the top of the cover. No issues at all. We had 11k in storm damage from down trees from sandy (we sit on a 50 ft bluff overlooking a park) and heavy winds and no issues whatsoever with leaving the pool up. I put the thermometer in a couple of weeks ago and Monday we were up to 57 degrees ANd crystal clear water. We're going to open this weekend, intex pools are much stronger than I expected. Sandy took 7 trees our front porch out big screen and our power but couldn't take out our 700 dollar practice pool. Go intex! Well upgrade to a permanent and larger pool when this one goes but I have no complaints at all regarding intex.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a rectangular soft sided pool (the ones where the legs are u shaped and stick out from the pool at an angle). What we did was buy a reed privacy screen like this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_231190-8003...n&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=reed+screen&facetInfo= and wrap it around the sides of the pool. Then we put 3/4" gravel in front of that creating a patio style area in front of the pool. It looks really nice and hides the big blue pool. The reed screen has lasted 4 yrs, but I think we will finally replace it this year.

Lizzieann,

Because the pool legs are at an angle and the 3/4 rocks press against the bottom we have never had a problem of it shifting. But if we did my husband was going to use thin galvanized wire to attach the reed to the legs. If I can figure out how to attach a photo, I will load one up.

Just an FYI. Big Lots is selling all outdoor "things" 75-90% off. I picked up enough landscape edging to go around my 20" round intex for under $20.00. It is the kind that comes in 4' lengths and you pound it into the ground with stakes already attached. I am excited as now I can actually weed wack next year instead of hand clipping

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.