reusing 2X2.5" valves

LKB

Jul 1, 2012
Hi All,
looking to take hmiser's lead and clean up my suction side plumbing, eliminating 4 2" 90's. I have 2 3way valves and a check valve that have fittings butted against them, so my options are;

1) cut flush and try a 2" RAMBIT on all fittings or

2) since they are all 2X2.5", cut them flush, and butt them together with 2.5" PVC, then a red bush 2.5x3 to the union on my XF pump. (trying to avoid cutting out the first 3 way).

I have limited space to the wall for the pump, but if I butt them together I will have about 8" straight from the pump union to the check valve (recommended is 2X pipe dia = 10").

This will eliminate 4 90's in the pool path, 2 90's in the Spa path.

Is #2 acceptable? any other thoughts? Sorry no pics handy, will upload one tonight.

Thanks,
LB

Here is a pic, move the 3way with actuator and check valve inline with suction, move the pump back about 10" give me about 8" from pump union not to check valve.

Thanks!
LB

Attachments

• P1030702-001.JPG
    P1030702-001.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 45
I would turn the pump 45 degrees clockwise and move it down in the photo, also turn the automated 3-way 45 degrees, so it's output runs straight through the check valve and straight into the pump. The upper suction line will have the same number of bends, but go horizontal at 45 degrees to it's present orientation, while the lower 3-way's output will get a 45 instead of a 90. Finally, the arch from the pump to the filter will need to be lengthened.

I can't tell if your approach will work or not (without moving the filter). The arch of pipe from the pump to the filter will be very tight against the filter, if it fits at all. You will also have to re-orrient the automated 3-way valve, which can work but only if you remove the movement stops that prevent it from blocking it's current output port. To put that another way, the two connections that are inline with each other on a 3-way valve are designed to alway have water flowing in the same direction, ie either both into the 3-way or both out of the 3-ways.

Thanks for the input Jason, I forgot to mention re orientating the automated valve, the Pentair's are very easy to adjust the cams (is there a flow issue having the spa come into the side?) and yes, need to get creative with the pressure side to filter, will be tight to the filter, maybe pivot and add a 45?

Still trying to wrap my head around your config, are you thinking a 45 out of the bottom pool drain 3way , straight pipe to the automated? I can't picture how the top SPA drain comes into the 3way, 90? and pivot the 90 coming up from the ground?

Thanks for all your help!

LB

Yup I follow you! need to measure my pad and see if I have enough room for the check valve and 8-10" of pipe before the pump
is there a flow issue having the spa come into the side if I re orientate the valve for my config?

Thanks again,
LB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.