wall collapse

Apr 8, 2013
Easy question for all you pool experts! I was having a pool contractor change out a vinyl liner on my pool that was built in 1968. New variable speed pump bought last year, New paver deck in 06. All was in good shape. Liner leaked at light but contractor drained water further down past shallow end to leave only 2-3 ft in deep end. Claimed it was necessary to remeasure before ordering liner. Left it drained for 2-3 weeks. Wood walls in shallow end are leaking sand and dirt and bowing in at the plywood wall seams. His response is see ya later alligator! " It was gonna happen no matter what he did and its not the amount of time without water that caused the problem". Funny how the walls weren't compromised even when I had water only halfway up on the wall on the shallow end ! I get that it has to be drained for installation but to leave empty like that for weeks? His response is that if it wasn't rotted plywood, which it wasn't, it should have held that long and longer! What's your views? Thanx for letting me pick your brain.

A full pool, properly backfilled has equal pressure on both sides of the wall so it is stable. Once you take out the water, the pressure is unequal and the sides will begin to move inward.

That's pretty much a no-brainer and the PB is completely at fault for ignoring the laws of physics.

On that steel sided pool, that was probably a more recent build than mine. Did it have the L bracing in the back of the wall with a concrete footer or base poured behind it?

I'm getting more estimates now with the more work needed. Thanx for your insight.

Breezer said:
On that steel sided pool, that was probably a more recent build than mine. Did it have the L bracing in the back of the wall with a concrete footer or base poured behind it?

I'm getting more estimates now with the more work needed. Thanx for your insight.
It was steel sided with dead men buried in the ground for support. The steel is only about 4 feet around the whole perimeter so the deep end is all sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.