which directions to use for TC

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
Just got done installing my Auto Pilot SWG, first things, totally easy install, I have it up and operating, after reading through the Monitoring and Maintenace portion of the manual, it say Free Chloring should be at 1.0-3.0 PPM along with your CYA at 60-80 PPM but according to TFP sticky by Chemgeek if I have 60 PPM of CYA my clorine should be min 4.4 and target should be 6.8 so which guidline is the best to use, it also states in the Auto pilot manual to much clorine in the pool will result in lower cell life. What everyones opion on this, what is a good all around FC reading to avoid Algae

Thanks

Dont know if I should start a new thread or not, Auto pilot directions also say I should add borates as well, just wondering pros and cons, I have had my pool for over 3yrs using BBB with no borates and no issues

The sticky has a footnote:

Most saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools appear to prevent algae at a minimum FC level of 4.5% of the CYA level as compared with the roughly 7.5% of the CYA level shown in the "Min FC" column for manually dosed pools.

So 3ppm is probably fine.

With CYA between 60 and 80 and a SWG a FC level of 3 normally works well. I like to bump that up to 4 to make it trouble free. The little bit extra helps take care of major storms, sudden high bather load, etc.

Note that if you don't run your pump/SWG during the day the morning FC level needs to be higher so that the early evening FC level is still 3 or more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.