Getting anxious in MN

Yeah, I opened early (May 12th) last year, but I was working on my solar panels and needed to get going. Generally, I wait until the pool water hits 60F before I take my opaque winter cover off, though sometimes pool projects or impatience gets to me and I open earlier.

We had our pool open April 16th last year. With the six inches of snow sitting on a block of ice, I think it's going to be end of may this year. I'm so anxious, I can't wait. We have new equipment this year so we just need some warm days to get outside and figure out how we're going to set it up.

Waiting is so hard!

Eta: we went without the cove this year. It kept blowing off last year. That said we took it off as soon as the snow had melted off last year.

MN Pool Dreamer,

Please let me know how the pool looks without the cover this year when the ice melts. I am wondering how much of a swamp you will have to deal with.

It was a real pain last year to put that cover on and I am guessing it won't be in good enough shape to use next year. Would like to avoid purchasing something that isn't necessary.

Well the pool was starting to melt a few weeks ago and I do know we are going to have a lot of dirt, but that happens no matter what because we have a corn field behind our house. Our house is as dirty as the pool is...nothing good old rover can't clean out. We have such horrible water we looked at the snow and rain as a nice way to flush out some of the high TA and calcium. We may have a damaged liner sooner but I can't imagine it's any worse than a cover rubbing on it.

We were crystal clear last year (except for some kind of precipitate that we never figured out) upon opening. The dirt didn't come until the farmer started tilling!

This is only our second year opening, but the water looked clear from what was melting. I put in a huge amount of chlorine (I think I was at 25ppm) and we do put in the dreaded copper. I know it's not a bbb thing, and it may get us someday.

My sister's pool is a swamp, but they were already green in November before it froze. They open a swamp every year, but just toss in a ton of bleach and off they go to crystal clear water.

We only bought the cover to please our home owners association. I may speak too soon, but so far they didn't fine us for not putting it on. I never got a good answer from pool owners as to why I need to cover my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.