Bought a house, pool hasn't been opened for 3 years

lconnors

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 1, 2013
Davenport, IA
I'm not sure what I need to do , and in what order. I bought this house as an investment property in January, and my daughter is currently renting it. The maintenance of the pool will generally be her deal once it's up and running, but until we get there, I supposed it's my responsibility. We have a 28 ft above ground at our house, so I'm not unfamiliar with pool generalities.

This pool is a 16 x 32 vinyl inground, approximating 22K gallons, as we're not exactly sure of average depth. The liner was replaced in 2008. Pool was last used 2010. It was professionally closed at that time. There is a safety cover on it that I thought looked pretty good while there was snow sitting on it. Now that the snow is melted, it appears that there are holes in the cover, so I guess there will be a fair amount of debris. I've been contemplating having the pool people come out simply to check the pump and lines to make sure those are working, but I'm not sure if I should take the cover off and see what we're dealing wtih debris-wise first, or have them do that all?

My hubby generally does all the pump/filter/heater stuff with our pool at home, but he will not have time to do this one as well, and as it's my investment, it should be mine. I'm familiar with chemistry and testing, but the mechanics are NOT my thing. I realize it's going to be a significant undertaking to get it going, but I could use some advice on the order to do things. We are in Iowa, so while the weather is starting to warm up, it is still getting down in to the 30s at night once in a while.

I've got the TF100 test kit, but obviously have done no water testing since the cover is still on.

Advice?

Thanks!

Laura

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to open the pool and make sure the equipment is still working. You need to decide if you are going to do this yourself or hire a pool service to do it. Opening is both a fair bit of physical labor (dealing with the cover mostly) and some possibly confusing steps of finding all the winterizing plugs and putting them back in as well as reinstalling things like return eyeballs. This is something you could handle on your own, but depending on budget I would recommend hiring a service so you can start out with some of the simpler things before getting into winterizing issues.

If you want to do it yourself, post back and we can give you some more specific guidance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.