LED color changing light barely glows red when turned on...

Apr 8, 2013
My pool was built about 2.5 years ago. Up until recently, the pool light was working fine. It is a color changing LED light that is connected to an XPS3 X10 switch. We used to be able to push the button on the remote and the light would come on. Push the button again, and the light would turn off. However, a few weeks ago, we would push the button and the light would only come on for a few minutes and then go off and barely glow red. The amount of time that the light would stay on has gotten shorter and shorter, and now it won't turn on at all. Now, all it does is barely glow red when turned on. I contacted the manufacturer of the XPS3 X10 switch and they were surprised that it ever worked with an LED light in the first place. But, since it was working for so long, I decided to order the exact same replacement switch. I installed the replacement switch and nothing has changed. Still barely glows red when turned on. Any ideas what could be causing this? Is there a remote switch that is designed to be used with an LED pool light?

Re: LED color changing light barely glows red when turned on

If you bypass the xps3 does the light work correctly?

The xps3 is a relay switch so it should work fine. It doesn't require a load in order to operate like the dimmers do.

Bama Rambler said:
If you bypass the xps3 does the light work correctly?

That's a good question. The switch has 3 wires going into it. Line, load, and neutral. To bypass the switch, would I simply connect the line wire to the load wire? (obviously after turning off power at the breaker :) )

Bad news. I bypassed the switch and the light only came on for a few seconds and just glows a dim red. See the pic below. Thoughts? Fried LED light? If so, do I need to drain the pool to below the light to take out the fixture?

[center:3qjhtw6q][/center:3qjhtw6q]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok, so I finally got around to pulling the light this weekend. It is a Hayward Colorlogic 4.0. It was installed in February 2011. How long are the warranties on these things? Also, I downloaded the manual from the Hayward website, and it says that it could be a "ground fault". How would I test for that?

[center:3ukwd41m] [/center:3ukwd41m]

Also, how do I detach the wire? Is it removed from the pool cutout side, or from the back of the light?

The wires are not detachable. If it is bad (I don't know enough to say definitively), you have to pull the wire out of the conduit from the deck box (Make sure you attach a chase rope/wire before you pull it out). Then you pull the wire from the new light back through the conduit.

Those colorlogic do not have bulbs that can be replaced ... you would need a whole new fixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.