New Userer From Philippines

Apr 8, 2013
First of all Hi,

I have been an avid reader of your forums and have been looking here whenever I have some pool problems.

I am from Philippines and pool stores here tend to lack items necessary to keep our pool maintained ...

We own a commercial pool and we cater about 15-60 swimmers per day ...

its two pools one for adults and one for kids ... the shape is unformal( like a kidney or something) for both pools ..

I tried to get the total volume of the pool and it counted as 60k+ gallons for the adult and 30k+ gallons for the kiddie pool .. (not sure if right)

we are using two sand filters ( Jacuzzi TM - 36 ) with 3 hp motor for them both ...

we are using silica sand for the sand filter ( just bought them like 6 months ago ) ...

we backwash on a need basis ( I check if the return flow is weak then I backwash ) ...

Can any of you guys who are knowledgeable on commercial pools give me some insights or tips on how to maintain our pool ..

My FC keeps dropping to 0 every morning so Im guessing I dont have enough CYA.

I am currently using Cal hypo as a regular chlorine ...
I recently bought some chlorine tablets and ah floater to try and raise my CYA to some point but not sure how much my current CYA now is ...

We refill our pool using a deep well and the water from the well have a TA of 500+ ...
I lower the TA by using muriatic acid and aeranate the pool using the fountain(octopus designed return) ..

my current readings ATM are

FC = 0 in the morning and like 5+ at night .. I use like 2.5lbs of cal hypo every night to chlorinate the adult pool and 1.5lbs of cal hypo to chlorinate the kiddie pool ...

TA = 150 - 180 on both pools

PH = 7.0 - 8.0+ ( I lower it every night by using muriatic acid to like 7.0 levels, since we open the fountain every morning and that tends to increase the ph to 8.0+)

I mostly have a semi blurred water on both pools but if I fail to chlorinate just for 1 night it turns to green so fast ...

I have a test 5 in 1 test kit and it does not have CYA , CH, TDS test so Im having problems testing those ..

No local Pool store here that can do a complete water test for our pool ...
I cant find any place to buy CYA so trying to use some chlorine tablets to raise CYA ... (no brands since thats the only one available) ...

We are willing to buy the taylor test kit or the TF - 100 but not sure if it can be shipped to our place, and if ever how much is the shipping cost ...

Our water now ( time of this post ) is currently green ... the water itself is clear the the green algae is currently sticking on the walls and the floors ...

our kiddie pool have a tiles flooring and we painted the walls with a acrytex paint ..
our adult pool is fully acrytex paint from floor to wall ...

another problem is the pool paints are being stripped offed the wall ...

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the big wall of text ...

Jess from phil

Jess from Phils - if you can PM me your location there maybe we can work something out? I am from Dallas TX and is scheduled to visit there in a couple of weeks, Pasig City (4/22). I am in the process of ordering refills and can also order your TF 100. I don't mind getting it as long as it is possible for you to meet me.

As you already know, good test results are vital to maintaining the pools.

Without knowing what the CYA level is you're just guessing and that's not good. Unless you know that no CYA has ever been added to the pool I would hesitate to add any more.

I suspect your FC dropping to zero is because of the algea, not because of your lack of CYA.

You need to shock the pool until it's clear and holding FC overnight.

If the above offer doesn't work out, I recommend that you find someone that will ship you a Taylor K-2006 or you can check with Strannik and see if they can ship a TF-100 to you. Either way the first thing you need is a good test kit.

Well my FC from 6:00 pm all the way to 6:00 am is identical it only drops to zero whenever sun is up like 10:00 am ...

so I am still on the side of lack of CYA ... I am quite sure there that I have not put any CYA in this pool since it was fully drained and I refill it myself via deep well using a submerge pump ... not sure if you can get CYA unless you actually put some chemicals in it ..

Our pool uses only muriatic acid and cal hypo nothing else ...

And about the green algae its fixed now the water is currently blue and semi blurred again ... I have poured like 7lbs of cal hypo on the adult pool and 4lbs on the kiddie pool ...

got my FC to like orange on my test kit .. my test kit can only reach 5.0 and thats like a dark yellow, my reading after I shocked it was like dark orange as in really dark orange, that reading was like from 6:00pm yesterday up to 6:00am today then dropped to like 0 after I test it like 4:00pm in the afternoon ... put another 1lbs on the adult pool and 1/2lbs on the kiddie pool now (8:00pm) gonna do a reading again after an hour to see if my FC holds .... and gonna do another reading early morning tomorrow around 3:00pm to see if the FC still holds and another reading at lunch to see if it burned down to zero (like before) ...

and btw what is Strannik ...?

Welcome

Strannik is a member in Australia who sells the TF-100 there, I was going to suggest that but Bama beat me to it. Do a google search at the bottom of this page to find more about that. Or yrqrm0's offer to bring you one would be good.

Contact Dave To see if he can ship to you. They are good peeps and they get the order out fast. I have the TFT-100 XL with the speedstir and love it. The speedstir makes a few of the tests a lot easier. I would consider the TFT-100 with the XL option if I were you. It's not much more and gives you some extra chemicals. You are a commercial operator with two pools so you will use more than most home owners and will likely have a bit higher shipping costs than we do in the states so I would get the XL while it won't cost you any extra shipping.

[email protected]
tftestkits.com

There is other contact info on their site under shipping/returns if you need an address or phone info. They have always answered my emails promptly.

Yah trying to make a deal with Yrqrm0 for the TF - 100 kit .. hope it ends well ..

Just checked my FC again and it dropped to 0 again when the sun is up ...

So I am still guessing its lack of CYA ..

If ever where can you get CYA or any BBB version of CYA ...? been asking around from hardwares to petshops (no pool stores here) and cant find any CYA or stabilizers ...

Are there any other use for it or any other name for it ...?

Thanks for all the response ...

wtfpakemo said:
Yah trying to make a deal with Yrqrm0 for the TF - 100 kit .. hope it ends well ..

Just checked my FC again and it dropped to 0 again when the sun is up ...

If ever where can you get CYA or any BBB version of CYA ...? been asking around from hardwares to petshops (no pool stores here) and cant find any CYA or stabilizers ...

Are there any other use for it or any other name for it ...?

Thanks for all the response ...

Cyanuric Acid is the name. Maybe its sold under that moniker in your area?

If you are passing the OCLT I suspect you are right. But we are both just guessing. So you not only need a source for the test kit you need a source for the CYA too. That is a bummer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While we do not typically recommend it, you could use Dichlor or Trichlor to raise your CYA if the pure stuff is not available.

Note that CYA= cyanuric acid and is often sold as stabilizer or conditioner.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Theres only one distributor of Trichlor tabs around my area and I have bought a couple of tabs from them, not sure of the brand since I only bought some pcs. ill be asking them what brand it is and how much the concentration it have ... using 3 tabs on the adult and two tabs on the kiddie pool ...

But I am having this little thought that since its a commercial pool and I tend to loose 1 inch of water per day if there's a huge bather load, am I just wasting my time and money on this Trichlor cause I need to refill 1 inch of water per day ...? CYA gets remove as you change the water or something right ...

To make it short how much CYA does a Trichlor tab adds to a water per day and how many CYA do you loose per inch of water changed ..

And also what is a Moniker ..?

I am not able to measure the difference on evaporation and splashout but I do loose 1 inch of water on a daily basis if we have a normal number of bathers (e.g 15-20 persons) ...

It gets quite hot here in our place like 32 - 36 degrees so not sure how much water I loose through evaporation ...

And sadly it did not work out with me and yrqrm0 so I need to find another source ..

tried contacting tftestkits but they say they do not ship to our place ...

Oh this is going to be hard ...

btw is it safe to use DE on a sand filter ..?

well I have tried to use DE before and it seem quite good, I add DE then let it stay there for like 1 week ... but after sometime I saw my water was going all murky and clouded, so after some test I decided to open up my sand filter and saw that the DE I have added hardened to a point where water can no longer pass ... because of the hardened DE my water was forced to channel its way on the siding of my sand not sure if that was a total channeling but there was a curve on the side of my sand already ...

I scooped the hardened DE and proceeded on backwashing the filter, after that the water came back to being clear again ..

So my new question is, do I let the DE stay on the sand filter or should I backwash it ASAP after 24hrs to avoid making the DE hard like clay or something ...

Thanks for all the reply ..

And still no luck on the test kit ... :(

Jess from Phils.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.