First Test This Year

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
FC = 0.5
CC = 1.0
TA = 100
CH = 340 (need to retest as I was expecting a darker color - if its right as I notice a change this is not correct)
CYA = 70 (this is confusing to me... when I put the drops in the tube do I stop when the black dot is murky or non existent by 100% gone) _ I filled it till I was pretty sure it was no longer visible at all. I may have over done it a tad - I will re test this as well.

I am going to pick up my bleach tomorrow... I did add what I had left but it was only about 50 oz.

Please let me know the best way to test CYA... and also for CH do I put in the drops till I see a slight change in color?

thanks

The black dot should be gone. Try it a few times and take an average. For the CH test, you're looking for zero changes in color. If you reach a redish tint on drop 13, and drop 14 gives you the exact same color....your result is 130 (always subtract the last drop that resulted in no change).

On TFTestkits they've got a YouTube channel showing the tests. It should clear up a few of your questions.

You can pour the CYA solution back and forth a few times to see if you keep getting the same value. Have someone else try too and see what they get.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

thanks, I will give it another try tomorrow...

For the CH... it does turn red... my questions is when I add the R-0012 back till it changes to blue... it was red for X number of drops, then it went to a grayish/purple..

I found this:
The sample may turn purple during the test, or go to blue for a moment and then turn back to red/pink. This is called a "fading endpoint" and is caused by interference from metal ions. If this happens, do the test again, but this time add five drops of R-0012 before adding any R-0010 or R-0011L. Remember to count the initial five drops in the total.
In extreme cases, a fading endpoint may occur even when adding five drops of R-0012 at the start. If that happens, mix pool water with an equal quantity of distilled water, test that, and then multiply the result by two.

I need to repeat the test and see for sure... I just remember it didn't really go Blue... but did change away from Red... so I added a few more drops to get a color that looked more like blue... I may have messed it all up... I will report back tomorrow...

thanks for your help.

Quick question before I review the directions to answer your question.

What surface is your pool?? Plaster or a vinyl liner???

Sorry about the delay....working 15 hours at work after taking the little one to get stitches leaves you dragging. I'm guessing I'd mess up the answer anyways. :D

It sounds to me like there could be two things going on here. It sounds like maybe you stopped too soon. If it turns a blueish/purple color and kept changing colors the more drops you added, then there's a good chance that you haven't reached the endpoint yet. Your result could be higher than that posted. Keep adding drops until NO change in color is noticed. Also towards the end slow down in between drops and really stir well (speedstir is a MAJOR help in this test....and major is an understatement) to help mix everything together. The end color I often achieve is almost one like a "robin's egg" blue.

The plus with this is that with a vinyl pool, the CH isn't a major concern. Just don't let it get high, and you'll have a slim chance of scaling. It's mostly a concern with plaster pools.

I ran the test agn, it would seem that its still a bit high (380) I am guessing this all because of my fill water I will give it some time to see If the rain will take it down by natural replacement... Unless you think I need to do something else? Its raining today... pool calc says replace like 32% of the water... I know I will not get there over night...

I re tested, and checked it a few times as you explained... I ended up with same result for the most part... its 70 ish... But I read that in direct sunlight it may be better in that range?? I will allow for some time to see if the rail washes it down too... let me know what your thoughts are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CH is within an acceptable range. I wouldn't worry about CH.....just keep your pH down in the mid to lower 7's so the CH has no chance to precipitate. Check it monthly and when it gets much above 400ppm, then it will be time to do a partial drain.

YOur CYA is a bit high so I would consider a partial drain to get it down around 50ppm. That would mean about a 25% drain so you could do that in one shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.