Filter problem?

Apr 7, 2013
Hi, I recently purchased a house with pool which I'm just bringing to life after winter shut down. Pump is running fine and water flow appears normal. However I noticed the pressure gauge was reading 0 and I'm sure before winterisation it was reading around 5 - 7 psi. System has a Lacron LSR18 side valve filter with multi port valve attached. I tried doing a backwash and noticed that hardly any water was visibly in top of filter - i mean like a dribble!! When turned back to normal filter the water is visible and as far as I can tell flow rates are ok.
I'm thinking that maybe the filter medium is all clogged up or something, but before I attempt stripping filter down would appreciate any suggestions.
I did change valve for a spare - still no reading
Yes, I did turn pump off before moving multi port valve

Thanks

Regards

Taylorhogg

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

If you are getting decent flow in the filter position, I suspect your gauge is bad. You can find very nice, liquid filled guages at directmaterial.com for about $15 or so or you can get a cheaper one at a pool store.

It sounds like your backwash is a separate issue but getting your gauge fixed first will help diagnose that, too.

What does the gauge indicate when you run the multiport on bypass (or recirculate).

If the filter media was clogged (which is highly unlikely) it would restrict the flow in both directions. I agree with Dave, get the gauge then we'll work on the backwash issue if there is one.

In the mean time, fill out your sig with your equip. It helps us help you. :)

Thanks for your advice. I've just fitted new pressure gauge and all seems to be ok (psi of 5bar). I guess the spare was faulty as well. With regards the problem with the back wash issue I realize I was looking at the wrong site glass. Someone had pointed out the clear dome on top of filter but on further internet reading I discovered that I should have been looking at the small glass on the side of multi valve port. Live and learn :)
Many thanks, all seems to be in order - for now. Just need a British summer to try it out!!
Taylorhogg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.