Sand coming from jet

Apr 28, 2012
Powder Springs, GA
Hey everyone,

I'm still new to being a pool owner but I learned a lot from you all last season. I'm starting to implement the BBB this year and have been working to get my CYA down (wow that's not fun).

Anyways... Last year I noticed there was sand accumulating at the steps of the shallow end of my pool where a jet comes out. It's also closest to the pump station. I didn't think much of it and continue to run the pool as normal. Half way through the season I had to replace my pump motor. The one before was a 3/4 and I put a 1.5hp and finished the season off fine.

Now that I'm starting to open the pool I'm noticing more sand is starting to accumulate on the steps where that jet is and it's happening fairly quick. So I'm trying to figure out what's causing the problem, and what to do next before continuing to get the pool ready.

My initial thought is that I could have a lateral(s) broken but I don't know if my pump could be the cause as well? I've lived here for almost two years and there were no disclosures as to the pool maintenance when purchasing the house so I don't know if they have been replaced before or not.

Please let me know your thoughts, I love the forums and you all have been a great help to me already!

If you are sure you are getting sand from the jets, remove the multiport and check the level of your sand....should be about 2/3 full.....no more.

You might have success taking out an inch or so but make sure it is not overfull.

If it's not the sand level, then you can be pretty sure you will have to empty your filter and check the integrity of the standpipe in the center (not broken or dislodged) and then check the laterals for damage where sand can be getting in.

I just took all the sand out of my filter looking for broken laterals because I had the same problem. Turns out the laterals weren't flattened all the way, and there was a small opening created by them not being seated. I'm pretty sure that was my problem. Not sure if yours is designed the same way, but just a thought.

Thank you for the reply's. I will take apart the filter and do as suggested. Hopefully I will be able to identify the issue. Should I put any chemicals in the pool before taking apart the filter? I ask because I'm assuming it will not be running for days when I find out what parts need to be ordered and shipped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From my experience, there it's something you are missing.
Or, one of your laterals was angle up and as you emptied it you set it back into position.
If you are absolutely positive there is no crack in the center pipe or on the bottom.
And you Are absolutely sure your laterals are intact in every way put it back together and see if you fixed it.

PF

Pool_Fool said:
From my experience, there it's something you are missing.
Or, one of your laterals was angle up and as you emptied it you set it back into position.
If you are absolutely positive there is no crack in the center pipe or on the bottom.
And you Are absolutely sure your laterals are intact in every way put it back together and see if you fixed it.

PF

I had this same thought if it was the laterals not pushed in all the way and may have pushed it down while cleaning. I hope I fixed the problem by pushing them all down, at least my filter got a good cleaning and a new setting of sand :? I'll update if anything changes and thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.