new at this

May 22, 2008
I hane an Intex 16' AGP. We have done nothing but filled it and tested. Test results are:
ph - 7.2
TA - 490
Hardness - 430
all others were 0 due to not adding chemicals yet.

How do i lower alka without lowering ph?
Any links to instructions on starting a new pool? I only find on opening a pool.

Welcome to TFP!

No there isn't yet a sticky on pool startup. It is in the grand plan but we haven't gotten around to yet. Anyone out there what to give it a shot?

Your TA and CH are both very high. That is going to put you at risk for calcium scaling. Usually calcium scale on a vinyl pool isn't too bad but it can mess up the pump, and heater if you have one. You can get that under control by lowering TA. There is a very through write up on how to lower TA here. Briefly you use aeration to raise the PH and then you can add acid to lower both PH and TA.

You should start adding CYA to bring the CYA level up to between 30 and 50. Don't do it all at once, so you don't overshoot.

The first day or two you want to add enough bleach to bring FC up to 2. As soon as the CYA starts dissolving, bring FC up to the appropriate level for the CYA level you are expecting.

There are a number of ways to aerate, fountain, spa jets, waterfall, air compressor, aiming a return up so it breaks the surface of the water, kids splashing, rain, special fittings for a return that make it work like a spa jet, and so on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.