Aquapure SWG "general fault" code 120 can I still run filter

awoods

Apr 6, 2013
I am a new pool owner and recently the Aquapure SWG started saying "general fault" code 120. I took the cell out and acid washed it. It still gives the same code. So if it's malfunctioning is it safe to still run the filter? They both run together and I don't believe I can turn the Aquapure off. Am I harming anything by running it with no flow to the cell? My electric bill is sky high and am wondering if this is the problem. I don't know how long this has been happening as I don't check the panel and it runs in the middle of the night. But I am pretty sure I probably need a new cell. I just don't want to turn off the filter and have a green pool. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Re: Aquapure SWG "general fault" code 120 can I still run fi

Until you get things fixed, unplug the SWG. There should be a pigtail off the control box to the unit that unplugs. You now have a manually chlorinated pool. Test FC and add bleach as needed. I used the search box and stumbled across this link in an old thread that goes into detail on troubleshooting.
http://www.pleasurepoolsno.com/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf

Thank you. I didn't know I could unplug it and not have the alarm sounding, or anything like that. I will turn the filter off for tonight and unplug the swg tomorrow. I will be replacing the cell but it may be a week or so. I am very new to this pool stuff, so is it ok to just put shock in it until I get the new cell? It's going to be about 70 degrees here this week and I don't want it to turn green.

awoods said:
Thank you. I didn't know I could unplug it and not have the alarm sounding, or anything like that. I will turn the filter off for tonight and unplug the swg tomorrow. I will be replacing the cell but it may be a week or so. I am very new to this pool stuff, so is it ok to just put shock in it until I get the new cell? It's going to be about 70 degrees here this week and I don't want it to turn green.
Sounds like you need to read Pool School.

"Shock" powders will not only add chlorine, they will also add either Calcium or Cyanuric Acid. If you don't know what those levels are, you don't know if you need any more. Plain old Chlorox doesn't add either of those, which is why it would be the best choice for you.

Thanks for the info. I read "Pool School" and did get some helpful info on my pool. I only have shock and a few other treatments on hand and was just asking if the shock would get me by for a few days. But I guess the fact that that's about all I have put in my pool for 4 months and it's sparkling clean doesn't make sense when I read the chemistry part of Pool School. I really need to pay someone to come out and give me a hands on tutorial. Either that or a backhoe and lots of dirt. (Just kidding) :wink:

So the pool guy came out today to fix my SWG. He says the 120 code just means I need more salt. I am not buying it yet. Anyone ever had that code and it just needed salt?

Have you had the salt content tested?
I'd take a sample to the pool store and have them test the salt content. Then decide if it needs more or not.

According to the manual Richard linked to error 120 and 121 are low cell current. Which could be low salt, a bad cell or it could be a corroded cell connector.
You'll know more what to look for once you have a salt number.

The salt level is around 2800 ppm, which is a little low but I thought the cell was bad so I was afraid to add more salt. I am going to add about 2 more bags of salt and see if the fault code goes away.

Just an update. I added 3 more bags of salt and still 2800 ppm. Got a code 127 and 176. Took tri sensor off and cleaned it. That immediately bumped the salt to 3200 ppm. Now cell is constantly reversing and code 121 is showing (for about 4 days now). So all in all I have had 4 codes and still doesn't seem right. Now what?

awoods said:
Just an update. I added 3 more bags of salt and still 2800 ppm. Got a code 127 and 176. Took tri sensor off and cleaned it. That immediately bumped the salt to 3200 ppm. Now cell is constantly reversing and code 121 is showing (for about 4 days now). So all in all I have had 4 codes and still doesn't seem right. Now what?
Go back up and read through that manual I linked. If you're not handy and don't have a good digital VOM, take it to a pool store for service.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well, while I am pretty certain that I need a new cell I also have paid for a warranty on the pool when we bought the house. I have had the warranty place send out a pool guy. But I am having a hard time convincing the warranty place and the pool guy that it's a bad cell. I am trying to figure out if they are right and I am doing something wrong or something to convince them to replace it.

The pool guy first said it just needs more salt. Well after almost putting too much salt in because the sensor wasn't reading the correct salt level, it gave me 3 more codes that I told him over the phone. He said he would get back to me after he called the manufacturer. That was almost 5 days ago. I just keep feeling like I am being ignored or maybe he just thinks I am crazy to think these codes shouldn't keep coming up. Is it normal to constantly have codes coming up? I wouldn't think so but maybe I am crazy. :)

144 is low salt. 145 is high salt. Your salt level is likely just fine. The reason he may have told you to add more salt is the chlorinator draws a higher current specifically due to the salt level. When a cell is nearing the end of it's life, adding salt squeezes out some more life from the cell.

120 and 121 will tell you there is a low current to the cell. This is often due to a DC cable that has been compromised in some way. It can also mean your cell is dirty, or needs to be replaced.

127 -Low current in reverse direction. Same as a 120 or 121 code. 176 doesn't exist. If this is on your screen, I'd like to see it. And it would clearly indicate a board problem, but I suspect it's not on your LCD and you may have mistaken another code for this one.

You can keep running your filter pump and don't need to turn power off to the cell. Anytime you have a service code on the screen, regardless of the code, your cell stops chlorinating. This is a safety feature. Your cell is simply part of the plumbing line but electrolysis is halted. This also means that the issue needs to be corrected in order for chlorine production to begin again.

Fellow Aquapure owner here. 120/121 typically means your cell is dead or dying. My system threw those codes randomly at first, for about 1 year, then went steady. My cell (the old 2 port model) was installed in 2006, so it lived a typical, if not a little long, life for a cell. My sensor also bit the dust about 1.5 years ago.......and I got codes 176 and 181.

I first bought a new sensor 1.5 years ago and that fixed the sensor problem. I just replaced the salt cell with the newer 3 port model on Saturday.....I had been chlorinating with household bleach since Aug/Sept last year. I'm continuing to use the older sensor, since it's only 1.5 years old (Jandy/Zodiac didn't change how the sensor functions, but the older style is screw-in, and the newer one fits in the body of the salt cell). I will say I'd like to slap Jandy/Zodiac regarding the mounting of the new 3 port cell; it's exactly the same length as the two port, but they chose to use a slightly larger screw mount for the new one, making it incompatible (ie you have cut and use the new fittings they provide). Completely unnecessary. Oh well....gave me a chance to replumb some stupid stuff my pool builder did with the plumbing.

I had my pool put in last year and started getting the 120/121 error late fall. I first had pool guy out because it is still under warranty. I am lucky because my pool guy knows Jandy extremely well. We first cleaned the cell even though it was almost spotless with little buildup. Then when the error was still there he checked DC cords etc.. and they were fine. He was about to replace the cell because that is the next "normal" step. Then something od happened about two days before the cell was going to be replaced. My valve that goes from "pool mode" to "spa mode" would not turn anymore after checking that out and replacing it, it still did not work with a brand new valve. He thought then about my motherboard ....and sure enough the mother board was bad in the unit. He replace the board and the valve works and the error messages are gone.

However, for your story the 120/121 error is low flow, I don't believe your pool guy knows if he is telling you it means low salt. Right our of your manual it will tell you the 120/121 meaning. Your 2800 is a bit low typically you want to run in the low to mid 3000's but 2800 would not throw an error (in my opinion). Start with the DC cord and clean cell, after that I would push them to replace cell especially if it is under warranty.

Good luck it can be frustrating. Like the previous folks said if you do run into issues you can always add bleach to chlorinate while you are figuring out. The pool calculator helps you know the amount to add.

I'm a little late in this discussion. I've had a 121-120 error problem since last fall. I replaced the cell and still get it. Despite the code, the cell is producing Chlorine. Just for grins, the other day, I pulled the cord and put the old cell that I thought was failed in a bucket of pool water with the cord attached. It produced a fog of hydrogen bubbles, so I assume it's still working. I also checked the voltage at the back board and cell and it was 34 volts which is about 6 volts high. I'm going to pull both front and back board in send them in to a company that tests and rebuilds them if needed and see if that is the source of my problem. I've seen references to the back board having problem with the DC relay that switches polarity of the cell creating the 120-121 codes. I'll post what I find. As a last resort, I'm considering switching out to the new ApureM control unit. Jandy did away with the old two board system that was used when they took over Chlormatic SWGs. The ApureM is supposed to work better. I'd rather just switch systems but I've got too much in to the cell now and likely an old one with some life it it yet. Hopefully I'm not throwing good $ after bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.