1 gallon of muriatic acid and 2 pounds of trichlor per week

chicha

Apr 6, 2013
El Salvador
The person taking care of my in-ground pool claims to have been using one gallon of muriatic acid and two pounds of trichlor per week. I thought that he had said that he was using an algaecide, as well. But he said no. [I'm in El Salvador. He speaks Spanish. Me, not so much.]

A few weeks ago, when I saw some "soap-like bubbles" and some remaining algae in the pool - after he was done treating the pool, I decided to do some investigating on the internet and found this website. Luckily! The following day, I added a gallon of bleach on my own and the algae disappeared.

I had read that an algaecide can cause these soap-like bubbles. So I've told the pool-person not to use any algaecides in the future. I also told him not to use any muriatic acid. At least not until I receive a Taylor K-2006 kit, which is in the mail.

I also had read on this site that the CYA in Trichlor can build up in the pool and so make the chlorine part of the Trichlor less effective. This may be the reason for the algae.

The temporary treatment plan I've told him to use is one gallon of bleach and only one pound of trichlor per week. He maintains the pool one day/week.

Once I get the kit, I'll have a better idea on how to proceed.

My question is this: Can Trichlor granules, being acidic, be used as a substitute for muriatic acid?

Many thanks.
Steve

Re: 1 gallon of muriatic acid and 2 pounds of trichlor per w

Welcome to tfp, chicha :wave:

chicha said:
I had read that an algaecide can cause these soap-like bubbles. So I've told the pool-person not to use any algaecides in the future. I also told him not to use any muriatic acid. At least not until I receive a Taylor K-2006 kit, which is in the mail.
:goodjob:

chicha said:
Can Trichlor granules, being acidic, be used as a substitute for muriatic acid?
They both lower ph, but of course the trichlor also add chlorine. I would quit the use of the trichlor since your cya level is likely very high and just use bleach/liquid chlorine and MA.

Post your test results once you get your kit and we can recommend a course of action.

How about if I just use bleach without the MA? If the CYA levels are high, then there shouldn't be a concern about losing the effectiveness of the chlorine after 30 minutes under the sun. MA is a very strong acid, isn't it? If one were to have too much MA in a pool, how would that affect a swimmer? Could the skin be burned? It just sounds like a scary chemical to be handling.

The pool person has a pH tester, but I don't have a lot of confidence in its accuracy. Or is that one of the tests which is pretty straightforward and doesn't require the advanced capabilities of a Taylor K-2006 or TF100 test kit? If so, I can have him check the pH on Thursday and see whether it is too high.

In this post, one individual claims to have never added any acid to his pool. why-the-need-for-acid-t57067.html

chicha said:
Or is that one of the tests which is pretty straightforward and doesn't require the advanced capabilities of a Taylor K-2006 or TF100 test kit?
Generally, if the test is a liquid one with a color comparator, the result obtained are usually in the ballpark. Your pool may very well need it's ph lowered periodically. Having high TA, or water features that aerate can cause significant rise in ph. Once you get your kit you will be able to keep a handle on this. In normal circumstance we recommend keeping ph between 7.5 and 7.8.

chicha said:
How about if I just use bleach without the MA?
They use of both is generally independent of the other. Definitely use bleach to get chlorine in your pool...but also us MA if your ph goes above 7.8. See this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.