Need some help--new at this

Kitt

May 22, 2008
Tn
I have an Intex Easy Set 18' x 48" (5455 gal.) We just bought a SWG to add to the pool. We ran the SWG for the first time yesterday. I got some salt water test strips and the reading shows 3470ppm.(i guess we don't need to run it as long as the book says). The only test strips I have are 3-way that came with the SWG. They show a reading of FC-3ppm,pH-6.8,and Total Alkalinity-80ppm. Could someone please tell me what I need to add to my pool? I am new at all of this.Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

First, you should adjust your PH to 7.0 or higher. Borax is good for this, though PH Increaser/soda ash will also work. Do this as soon as possible.

Second, get a good test kit! There is no better investment in your pool you can make. The TF Test Kit is excellent and the Taylor K-2006 is also good.

Third, you need to know your CYA level. If you aren't getting a test kit right this moment you should go to a pool store and have them test it for you. The CYA level should be between 60 and 80.

You adjust the run time of the SWG to get the desired FC level. FC around 3 is fairly good. Keep an eye on it and if it moves too much you will need to adjust the run time of the SWG. The run time required will vary somewhat as the water temperature changes, more run time for warmer water.

Hi, and welcome.

First of all, that 3470 reading is your salt reading. That has very little to do with your run time.

next, have you added any CYA (cyanuric acid or stabilizer) to your pool? With an SWG you are going to need it.

third, your pH is a little low, but with the SWG that will tend to raise on its own. you need to bump it up now with borax, but not too high. (see Jason's calculator, in my signature)

Finally, and most importantly, you need to get a good test kit. We recommend either the TF-100 (see the link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006. The 'guess strips' are not accurate enough for you to use long-term.

Read the stickies, especially Water Balance tips for a SWG and BBB for Beginners

OK I'll let the gurus handle most of that question, since I'm new to SWG myself, BUT I know you need to add CYA. At Wal-Mart it is called Stabilizer (and some other places), but it is 100% Cyanuric Acid in the ingredients. You need to read the Stickies page on this forum, and maybe alot of the posts in the SWG section, that helped me a whole, whole lot.
After discussing CYA with the gurus here, I put it straight into my skimmer (but you have to remember NOT to backwash for a week after adding it this way, so if you're having to backwash more often than once/week right now, put the CYA in a sock and let it dangle in front of a return, realizing that it takes MUCH longer to dissolve this way. Otherwise, put it - slowly - directly into the skimmer and don't backwash for a week, then test the CYA again after that week).
-Added this- Check JasonLion's calculator to determine how much CYA to add.
The CYA will help stabilize your chlorine usage. Most people here seem to recommend 60-80 CYA level, and you should check your SWG manual.

You need CYA, cyanuric acid. You will also see it as conditioner/stabilizer. Just make sure to check the ingredients to make sure they have cyanuric acid.

Check the instructions that came with your SWG to be sure, but most SWG require a CYA level of at least 60.

CYA is slow dissolving. The 2 most popular ways to add it is to pour it in the skimmer or to put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return.

If you pour it in the skimmer, you cannot backwash or vacuum to waste for a week.

It will take at least a week for the CYA to fully dissolve and for you to get an accurate reading.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Oh, you can purchase stablizer at the pool store, wal-mart, lowe's, home-depot. Just about anywhere that sells pools chemicals.

ETA: typos

With an intex pool, unless you have upgraded the pump/filter to a bigger and better one, I would not suggest putting the CYA in the skimmer, if you even have one. That pump has to work hard enough, and the filter is pretty inadequate even when it is not full of CYA.

Use the sock method, and hang it from the ladder.

The pool store guy said to add 1 1/2 pounds of CYA to the pool.(it has 5455 gal.) Is that right? I will do the sock thing. The Total alkalinity is only 50. What should I add and how much?

Use Jason's Pool Calculator in my sig to help you figure out how much of stuff to add.

I get 2.75# of CYA to get you to 60, but you do want to add less at first... you can always add more, but you cannot lower it without draining your pool!

1#10oz of baking soda will get you to 70 TA...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am so excited! We just ordered a 4000 gph filter pump for our pool. The one that came with it is so weak. My pool is looking (and testing) great. Thanks again to all of you for your help the other day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.