What is a good run time?

nicpppardo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
I have a SWCG and a 13,000 gal pool. I live in Los Angeles and electric rates actually went up 15% this year. What is a good run time? Can I split the time between day and night to save money, since we are on a tiered system? I have a two speed pump. When we run the pump during the day (especially in summer) we are paying about $220 a month just for the pool, so I'd love to get that cost down only if it won't effect water quality. ...welcome to CA, where everything costs more haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Is there a better time to run the pump?

nicpppardo said:
Kind of piggy-backing off of this.. I have a SWCG and a 13,000 gal pool. I live in Los Angeles and electric rates actually went up 15% this year. What is a good run time? Can I split the time between day and night to save money, since we are on a tiered system? I have a two speed pump. When we run the pump during the day (especially in summer) we are paying about $220 a month just for the pool, so I'd love to get that cost down only if it won't effect water quality. ...welcome to CA, where everything costs more haha.

Yes, you can. How long are you running the filter every day? I manage to keep my pool crystal clear and cool a 1600 sft house for about half that!

Hello! At its highest, we were running it 8 hrs a day from 8-4 (as instructed by now-fired pool man!). Right now it is running 6 hrs from 9-3. I will be so excited if I can run this during non-peak hours! Haha. Thank you!!!

9-3 ? Is this am or pm? I personally don't think anybody can give a solid answer on pump run time, too many variables come into play.

The majority of my pump run time is at night for the cheaper electric rates. I also run for a couple of hours during the day. I have it on a timer that I can adjust as need be. Bottom line for me is what does my water look like. It's something you have to play with. I don't even get a whole turnover most of the time as long as my water is to my likeing.

Just my 0.02

Thanks for the info! Those times are 9am-3pm/8am-4pm. I definitely want great water, so if those times are best I will leave them be. However, if I can get away with running them later, I'd definitely like to try it from a cost perspective. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.