Help trying to figure out new pool

yeomanflood

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Hello! Thanks to everyone in this forum - which enabled me to take control of my pool and make it awesome.
My brother just bought a house and I was trying to help him figure out his pool.

I think the pool is older, maybe from the 80s. He has an in-ground integrated jacuzzi with the pool (which makes me jealous since my above-ground spa is way more maintenance :)).
He doesn't seem to have an attachment on the side of the wall of the pool for a vacuum - mine does. And his house didn't come with a vacuum either. I thought that was a bit odd, then I realized that maybe the age of the pool caused the particular design.
He does have one skimmer - it has 2 holes - I haven't figured out each yet. But does this setup mean that he is supposed to attach a vacuum to one of the holes in the skimmer every time he wants to vacuum? That seems to be a challenge. I did find a different discussion about the potential option if having the skimmer work and have a vacuum attached permanently (in order to reduce maintenance effort).
single-skimmer-port-want-to-use-vacuum-and-skimmer-bucket-t53599.html?hilit=where%20to%20attach%20vacuum

Thanks for your input.

One port in the skimmer is the suction to the pump. The other most likely goes to the main drain. There should be a diverter (pictures in the encyclopedia) valve to balance the flow between the two. If it's missing, you can buy the flying saucer one for about ten bucks at a pool store.

A vacuum plate won't work well with that setup, as its easier to draw water through a short pipe than a long hose, so the suction will just all go to the main drain. Sometimes the hose will fit nicely into the suction port, or you may need to make an adaptor. Be careful about just stuffing the hose in, or you may end up like this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.