Apr 6, 2013
My parents have a pool at their house, and the pool has always looked great under my father's care. Just recently my father has passed away, and now I'm trying to take care of the pool for my mother. I don't know what to do. The pool is in-ground. It has around 20,000 gallons (I think), and the pump is on a timer. I've been putting chlorine in every once and a while and I've been brushing the the pool as well. Just recently I noticed a layer of "dust" on the bottom of the pool. I've tried brushing it with the pump on and it didn't go away. Went to Leslie's and they gave me Pool First Aid to use. I tried it out, and now the pool is green! Went back to Leslie's and they told me to put in more alkaline, wait a few hours, and then shock the pool. And to follow up with vacuum to waste. Is this going to work? And if so, how can I prevent this from happening again? What type of daily/weekly maintenance is recommended (I live in New Orleans - and that means summer is hot and wet)?

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

You need to read through Pool School a couple times so you understand the chemistry and stop wasting money at the pool store. You will want to follow the shock process that is described in Pool School.

Also, order one of the recommended test kits. That, combined with knowledge gained from Pool School will have you easily maintaining a clear pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Welcome first of all!

We're gonna need you to post a set of your pool chemical analysis (even from the pool store) to be able to offer any advice. Also, please add all info you have on your pool in a sig line like mine at the bottom in your profile. Salt water? Built in puck chlorinator? What type of filter, etc....................... Don't add anything but pure old clorox bleach until you do! Got even a basic pool testing kit? See the ones recommended here and be miles ahead of the game.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.