Resin bottom rail vs. steel bottom rail

Mar 16, 2013
Opinions on Resin v. Steel bottom rim .... we have had several intex pools over the years. They usually last us 2 summers before we have a problem with the liner or the pump quitting on us. Not sure why, because we had them on a concrete pad, with foam barrier between the pool and the concrete, but we did. Anyway, we are finally ready to take the plunge and get a bigger above ground pool. We plan on getting a 27' round. We like the looks of the resin pools, but we cannot get one locally that also has the resin bottom rail. We looked at the Aqua Leader pools at Watson's (next state over), but we are worried about customer service and follow-up if we run into a problem. The local pool place, where the guy was really nice, sells the Opera RTR, but it has the steel bottom rail. To me, it seems like the resin bottom track is a lot heavier and sturdier and you wouldn't have to worry about rust, but does that happen with the steel ones?

Also wanting opinions on sand filter vs. cartridge filter system.

We need to make a decision this weekend so we can get on the installation list, so any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Welcome to TFP midwestmomma. :wave:

My pool " it's in my sig " everything is resin except the uprights which are steel. I wanted the steel uprights because of the type of winter cover I use. In my opinion resin pools look better. The pool looks more round with resin top rails vs steel top rails. I also like the resin bottom rail. No rust. Over the long run steel will rust, but that would be many years down the road.

I got my pool online. The local pool store could not get the one I wanted. I wouldn't be afraid to order online. I got mine from Staten Island Pool & Spa. Good price with free freight. The pool is manufactured by Wilbar which also manufactures Sharkline.

I can't comment on the filters as I have a DE filter. Check out pool school for filter info. Infact read everything in pool school. Very good info there. I can say which ever you go with get the biggest you can afford. What size pump are you planning on? I have a 1 hp 2 speed that works very well for me. Most Important, don't forget a good test kit. I use the tf100 kit. Become a lifetime supporter and get a discount on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :wave:

Welcome to tfp, MidwestMomma :wave:

I have not dealt with resin bottom rails, but I have steel rail that are in fine shape after >10 years (with the last 3 in my yard). I think either would work fine...I believe it wasn't until recently that even did resin bottom rails.

MidwestMomma said:
Also wanting opinions on sand filter vs. cartridge filter system.
I have a sand pool filter and a cartridge hot tub filter. I hate cleaning the cart, but don't mind the backwashing of the sand. With that said, there are many different opinions and reasons to chose each type. From Hydraulics101:
Which filter is best for you depends on your situation:

Cartridge Filters: Most energy efficient and don't require back-washing. Best suited for areas with water restriction, high electrical rates and/or pools that use a SWG.

Sand Filters: Easiest for algae clean up. Best suited for areas where the pool is closed for the winter and/or high algae potential.

DE Filters: Best filtration. Best suited for owners that really want their water to be as clean as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.