Question about the Goldline SWG?

PoolGuru

In The Industry
Jun 7, 2007
Folsom, Ca
Ive got an Aqua Pure 1400 (Jandy) SWG on my 15K and my neighbor just had a 18K gallon pool finished and went cheap and got the Goldline system. Well long and short I set his pool up for him and about a month after that he hires a pool service and his pool guy is telling him to keep the output dial at 100% at all times? I keep my Jandy at 40% as thats what my builder told me the pool was spec for. Any help greatly appreciated! Another person told me keeping it at 100% will burn the cell out or something to that tone.

-Ryan

The Goldline is a top qaulity unit.. It's actually one of the 'Big 3" SWGs in the US market! Where you set your SWG output depends on several factors such as hours of pump run time a day, size of pool, and size of cell (Godline has 2 sizes, btw), and amount of CYA in the water. The output should be set to maintain the proper FC level and not at some arbitrary percentage. This output and pump run time might have to be adjusted at different times of the year because temperature will also have an effect on chlorine demand and chlorine production.

Your best bet would be to post a full set of test results for this pool and you mioght want to take a few minutes to read the sticky on water balance for SWGs

The percentage setting required depends on the relative size of the pool and the SWG and also on the CYA level. There is no one setting that will work for every pool. 100% does sound high. It is most likely that the CYA level is wrong, it should be between 60 and 80. It is also possible that the cell is way to small, or that the pool guy has no idea what he is talking about.

Thanks guys for the quick response, My neighbors pool guy told him all of their pools on his route are set at 100% and I thought that was a little weird. I was always under the impression you cranked it up to 100% after a heavy bather load, then brought it back down into the 40-60% range?

-Ryan

I would be very interested in knowing the CYA level of all the pools on that guys route. MY bet is that he is clueless about SWGs and has never read an owners manual for one nor does he know that they require a higher CYA level than a manually chlorinated pool.

Once again , output percentage is different for every pool. For example, with my Goldline PS-8 (SWG and automation) I run my pool at 10-15% with an 8 hour pump run time in summer and drop to 6-8% with a 6 hour pump run time in winter (pool is never closed and used year round) and my spa is at 6% with a 1 hour run time in summer and 3-4% with a 30 min run time in winter. These settings help me maintain my FC at about 4 ppm in the pool and 5 ppm in the spa.
I do not 'scock' with the unit (100% output for anywhere from 4-24 hours in superchlorinate mode) but if I need to shock (has only happened 3 times since I've had the salt system so that's less than once a year) I use liquid chlorine.

plumin said:
My FC 22
CC 0
TC 22
pH 7.2
T/A 60
CH 550
CYA 40

Our pool guy has ours set at 100% as well. Here are my numbers from a few days ago.

We swam yesterday and the chlorine odor was very high.
Your cell output is way too high and so is your FC. Your CYA is too low also! Please read the sticky on water balance for SWGs http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=3663 , fire your pool guy (he's either lazy or clueless) , get a good testktit if you dont have one, and take control of your water!!!!!! It's really not hard.
I would NOT swim in water with 22 ppm FC with only 40 ppm CYA. That is NOT normal chlorination but rather high shock levels of chlorine. There is really no excuse for a pool that you are paying someone to maintain to be so out of whack!!!!!
The ONLY think he has right is your TA and I suspect he did that accidently by trying to keep the pH in line which has to be a constant battle in a pool with too low a stabilizer level and output percentage set way too high. What is your pump run time BTW?

Waterbear - I posted a few days ago that I had rec'd my test kids and tested the water the day before the pool guy serviced the pool and the day he was there. I think it's about two threads below this one.

We would like to care for the pool ourselves but were hestitant to fire the pool service before we felt comfortable with doing it ourselves. After reading all the different threads where poeple like you have help so many get their pools balance I feel confident that we can take care of it ourselves, as long as this site stays alive!

Thanks for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.