Opening pool I want to adjust numbers before we turn on the SWG
Here's my first numbers

FC 0
PH 7.0
TA 100
CH 80
CYA 0
Salt 300

Start with the CYA to bring up to 70-80 and add some bleach? Then what do I do with the TA and PH? I know I can then add the salt before I turn on the SWG. I think the most important thing first is CYA and FC levels????
I've have a new Pool Pilot Digital Complete System RC-40 cell.

Thanks for the help.

Get FC up with bleach, add salt to get to your SWG's preferred numbers. Don't start SWG until a day after adding salt. Get CYA up to the 70-80 range or your SWG won't keep up. I would not mess with the pH because your SWG is going to drive it up in a hurry. Once you get everything balanced, you are probably going to have pH drift, if so you'll work on getting TA down, but that comes later.

Are you certain about your cya level being 0...what was it when you closed?

Are you sure your salt measurement 300? That is a little low, even if you did not have the swg last year, unless this is a new pool? If you did have the swg last year, then it is unlikely it is that low (unless your replaced 90% of your water).

Do I get the FC up to 3-5 for the SWG? Add the stabilizer to a sock hang in front of the return where the water comes out is that correct?

In August of last year we had new liner. CYA was low when I closed last year I never really got it up very high after the new fill. I measured it at 0 and so did the pool store.

How did you measure CYA? Not that we don't believe you, just want to know how so we can see the whole picture.

Yes, 3-5. I shoot for 5 on mine, that way when it drifts down while the pump isn't running, it won't get dangerously low.

koliver13 said:
n August of last year we had new liner. CYA was low when I closed last year I never really got it up very high after the new fill.
Okay, that makes sense now. And this is a new swg installation?

koliver13 said:
Do I get the FC up to 3-5 for the SWG?
For the first couple of days while the cya is dissolving, attempt to keep FC 1-3 ppm. Once your cya is dissolved, then start following the recommendations for your target cya level. When you get the salt dissolved, then you can start maintaining the recommended swg FC level (for either 0 cya before being dissolved or for your target cya level once it is dissolved).

One more question. When i took the cover off my plastic top two steps have some green stuff would this be algae? I would guess I need to shock my numbers are low CYA and FC shocking would be easy at this point correct?

It sounds like algae, Normally I would say to shock it. But since your opening and the algae appears to be only on the steps, I would start with the chlorine at 3 ppm tonight and see how it looks in the morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC Last Night 6.0
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 120
CH 70-80
CYA 50-60?
Salt 2400
Temp72

Have Pool Pilot DIG-220. New Start up. How are my numbers? Have added CYA 48 hrs ago. Might rise a little. Have the salt system up and running. Says to add 75lb of salt?? Also the installer has not set up relay switch or timer. I've been turning off pump/SWG at night running 12hrs. Don't know what % to set SWG at??? Any help would be great??

I would go ahead and add the salt today if you can, and leave the SWG off until tomorrow. You have enough chlorine in the water and you shouldn't go below the recommended level. Do you know if the SWG was setup for your 23,000 gallons? I'm getting 115lbs. of salt to raise the level to 3000 ppm. I would say it is safe for now to only add 75lbs of salt.

After you get the salt level correct, run the SWG for a couple more days to see what happens with the FC. You can lower the FC by running the pump fewer hours and/or reducing the % output on the SWG.

Go ahead and add the salt.

When you first start the SWG it's a good idea to start off at 50% and if you are getting too much FC you can lower the % some and/or reduce the pump run time. If you are not making enough FC then increase the %. Each pool will have its own settings due to many factors; temp, swim load, amount of sun, etc...

If your electrical rates are high, then I suggest running the SWG on a higher % output and reducing the pump time. I'm in a high electrical rate area, So Cal, and I get away with an 8 hour run time that keeps the pool clean and my output is set at 70%. My pool gets full sun, it's 88 degrees, and the swim load tends to get up there for a smaller pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.