I keep having to add chlorine and ph increaser

Apr 5, 2013
I am having to add chlorine every other day and also ph increaser about every two days. What am I doing wrong? Should I be adding something I am not aware of.

I use HTH liquid Chlorine with Sodium Hypochlorite at 10% with other ingred. at 90%. I shocked it last week and still had to add the chlorine and ph increaser a few days after. I have some algae on the sides and bottom of the pool but the water is clear as can be. Please help! I'm getting frustrated besides getting expensive!

TH is 1,000
FC is 2/4
PH is 7.2
TA is 120
CYA is 100

pool is 33,000 gallons

These readings were taken about 45 minutes ago and at about 2:15 p.m. Our pool sits in direct sun except for some early evening shade on the N/W side of the pool.

My filter is a DE Model FNSP 48 with HP of 1.0

Welcome to tfp, poolady236 :wave:

poolady236 said:
I am having to add chlorine every other day
This is normal, most people add it everyday. In your case, since you have visible signs of algae, you pool will need chlorine even more often. At this point, assuming you are correct about the stuff being algae, you will need to do the this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool. Be warned that it is a process and not just a one time application of chlorine.

Unfortunately, your test results indicate that you also have high cya (cyanuric acid) and need to lower that first before doing the shocking process. I am assuming you do not have a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (swg)? If not, then you need to replace about 1/2 of your pool water to lower your cya down to ~50 ppm. See this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Finally, how are you getting your test numbers? A proper test kit is necessary to best maintain your pool chemistry. For example, if your cya number above is from test strips, then your cya is likely not 100 ppm, but we have no way of knowing what it is. In fact, my suggestion of draining could be entirely wrong. See this pool school article on test kits: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Linen beat me, but I'm going to post this anyway:

Any algae at all is going to consume your chlorine. Your CYA is way too high also, and I bet it's well over 100.

Your first work should be focused on getting CYA down. You'll have to drain half your water and refill. We can go into details later, but first I want you to understand what you are facing.

Next, you have to go through the shock process. Not add a bag of "shock" but go through the process as outlined in Pool School at the top right of this page. You will have to pass all 3 aspects of how to know when you are done shocking before you can go any further. This can take 2-3 weeks in some cases, and has to be watched/managed on a daily basis.

So, question is, are you prepared for a partial drain and refill to get that CYA down, and to go through the shock process?

FYI: adding chlorine on a daily basis is not uncommon. But if you have algae, you'll have to add more than you should have to when everything is right.

The test strips often are outright wrong, so I would stop using those. Ignore my drain and refill comment above, since I am assuming the cya test was from a strip? If it was, we can almost guarantee that it is not 100 ppm, but of course we do not know what it is.

What are you testing with the "liquid tests"? My guess is ph and total chlorine? If so, then in addition to your current "liquid tests", having a FAS-DPD test for chlorine will be much better and also the liquid tests for TA, CH, and cya. Make sure you read the link I posted above.
What type of pool do you have and how big is it?

It will help us help you if you post your pool detail in your signature. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.