In a conundrum! DIY or pro install

Jan 21, 2013
Hello all,

So we waited before ordering the 24' Sharkline I talked about earlier on this forum. It's such a big purchase, we wanted to make the right decision. During that time, DH has gotten concerned about the install. He is very capable of the physical work, but we've never done this type of project before. His mom offered to pay for a pro install, so they sent me to talk to some pool dealers.

So I only found one nearby company that buries (actually two but the other gets bad install reviews). Instead of getting Sharkline, they install Radiant pools, which are rated for burying. They will completely bury a 24', install the pump, filter, light, skimmer, and add a kool deck.

Pool w/ liner- 6,000
Accessories (pump etc) - 1,200
Install (guaranteed & warranteed)- 3,500
Kool Deck (optional) - 2,500

I don't feel like this is a terrible deal. Pool is up in 1 week, deck a week later. So we'll be ready to swim in May. But it's twice what we had hoped to spend. And we don't get near as many extras we had hoped to buy.

Dealer install Pros: Confidence in the install b/c the pool is built for burying & done by pros. Get a real pool deck b/c pool is flush to earth. Pool built quickly and accurately. Cons: $$$$
DIY pros: save money & can pay cash Cons: Will take a lot of time to install, beginner error, pool buried only a few feet, wooden deck (which will also need to be built)

I guess this is the dilemma that everyone goes through when they consider pro install vs DIY. Any thoughts?

linen, those pools look like great quality. No wonder they are so expensive!

woodyp, we had planned on spending about $2000 on the Sharkline pool with liner. And figured another $1500-2000 for accessories and install costs. The deck would have been another $1000. So even with MIL contributing (not sure of the amount, but I assume another $1k or 2), it's still twice as much as we wanted to spend. And we'd still have to buy things like patio furn, cover, toys etc.

But having it all installed sure does sound heavenly!!

We have the same pool, were having my father in law prelevel the site with his Kubota Bucket Loader, then the pool builder is coming onsite, finishing the level, putting down the concrete pads for the verticals, and doing everything else... I am also working with him instead of him hiring his laborer for the day... Original price of install was 1600$, with me working with him and having site pre done, 700-800$ including his materials. Savings going into my deck :) Our total cost for the project... 2800 for pool, 800$ for install, 1500$ for deck. 5100$... thats what one pool builder/store quote us for just the pool and install... Amazing what you can save when you know what your doing :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.