Weigh sand wet or dry?

Smykowski

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Does it make a difference? I emptied out my sand filter today looking for a possible broken lateral. Turns out, they just weren't pushed all the way down, so the sand (and dust and dirt and stuff I thought was mustard algae) was getting spit back into the pool.

This was likely due to the former owner not reinstalling the lateral assembly correctly after changing the sand a few years ago. So, in order to make sure everything is put together correctly, I'm going to weigh the sand that I've got to make sure that the correct amount is in the filter. I've got a HaywardS180T and there's no fill line on the inside of the barrel, it's just a matter of putting the proper weight in there.

How much weight in water can the sand hold? Do I have to weigh it dry, or is the difference small enough that it doesn't matter?

Sand will hold a lot of water, so I'd weigh it dry. A cuft of sand can hold about 26 lbs of water. I wouldn't go to the trouble of completely drying it but I'd let it sit in the sun a day or two.

A S180T filter holds about 1½ cuft of sand.

Most 5 gallon buckets actually hold about 5.75 gallons, which would be ~0.75 cu. ft. You can test this using a gallon bleach bottle to check yours. Since the water does not increase the volume of the sand, you would need two full 5 gallon buckets (assuming 5.75 to top) of wet sand to have the right amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.