I'm a little confused on which cleaner I should look for

armywife1996

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2009
Oklahoma
I've looked at a few online and I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

I see some say they are for inground and some for above ground. The ones for above ground have generally mentioned for flat bottom.

I have an above ground with a deep end. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cleaners are generally broken up into 3 types,

suction side cleaners, this can either be Kreepy Kraully types, or wheeled models

pressure side cleaners, often requiring a booster pump which generally stir things up to be cleared by the skimmer

and electrically powered robotic cleaners

I currently use a robotic cleaner, but used suction side models of the kreepy kraully style for years, in general my experience is more money bought you higher quality parts and longer life, but when it comes to cleaning effectiveness and chances of getting stuck it was a luck of the draw with your pool layout, etc. I have owned $70 lowes specials that did great at cleaning, but were noisy and started to fall apart within weeks, and had to be thrown out after one season because they could not be patched anymore and also $300 name brand cleaners that were built much better, but always got caught in the corner by the ladder.

Ike

I would think if you have a deep end, you would want to lean toward the IG cleaners. So of the AG cleaners meant for flat bottoms may not be able to escape the deep end.

I tried an Aquabot T-Jet and that would quickly get stuck in the deep end after a little dirt had been captured and the propulsion was reduced.

approx. 30,000. I have a 32' round and half of the pool is a deep side of approx. 6 feet. And yes, I have read it. I understand the different 'types' of cleaners available but when reading the descriptions of the cleaners on buying websites they state 'in ground' (which isn't what I have really) or 'above ground' and the above ground ones also mention for flat bottom pools (which also isn't what I have). I've read that in ground cleaners climb walls and that may not be good for above ground pools. It just seems like a lot of conflicting information. Maybe it's just me.

30k is a big pool and likely a suction side cleaner will be too slow for you.. A robot would be my suggestion even though they are pricey. It will do fine in your pool.

A suction side will certainly help but you may find yourself having to run the pump a lot longer to give the cleaner time to do it's work.

I should add that most robots can be programmed to climb walls or not, your choice. I would rather brush my walls manually as all the cleaners seem VERY slow and energy and time wasting doing this function.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.