New Pool in Louisiana

jboyea

Mar 15, 2013
My wife and I are close to picking first IG pool. I wanted to get your opinion on what we are looking at.

Leisure Pools, fiberglass, the elegance 29'7" by 14'6"
Salt Water System
Pentair EasyTouch 4 function control
2 speed pump
2 laminar jets with LED
2 color LED lights
1.5 HP Superflow pump
sd80 sandfilter
buster pump for cleaner
duel timer
1 skimmer
2 main drains
1 overflow
Cantilever coping
sump system
we think this is the perfect pool design for our yard and I have enjoyed reading the posts in this forum. I wanted to see what people thought of this system. I am thinking of a robotic cleaner and still researching that, but the PB has included a polaris 280 or legend in the quote. I would put pavers in after the pool is complete. Once we start the build I will post pictures.
thanks everyone-

Asking what sort of pool we should get is sort of like asking what kind of car should we should drive, at best you will get some comments on potential faults with your list of choices, but honestly without knowing a LOT about your life style it is hard to say much more. The pool you are looking at is sort of the luxury minivan of pools, it provides good all around utility, but does not do any one thing great, it can function as a lap pool, a spa area, a place to lounge or a place for the kids to splash around. If any one of those activities are more or less important than the others, then it may not be an ideal choice.

Hi, neighbor! Where in Louisiana are you located?

A few comments:

2-speed pump / SWCG: Be careful here. We initially went with a 2-speed pump (and 2" plumbing) in an effort to save on our electricity bill by running on low speed unless high speed was needed (vacuuming, water features, etc.). However, I was dismayed to find that on low speed, the flow rate was marginal for the Pentair SWCG (if the flow is not sufficient, a flow sensor inside the cell shuts off the unit, and no chlorine is produced). One solution was to just set the SWCG to 100%, and set up the pump to run on high speed for a few hours a day (or as much time as needed to maintain the chlorine level). This was sort of an awkward workaround... since the flow was marginal, sometimes it WOULD work on low speed, so if the unit was set to 100%, it would be cranking out chlorine all day in that situation. People here have illustrated how a 2-speed pump generally makes more financial sense than a variable-speed (you get most of the energy savings at a much lower initial purchase price), but had I known about this issue, I would have gone with the Intelliflo, since you can figure out the exact RPM needed to make the SWCG happy, then bump it up a bit for a margin of error, and not have to worry about it anymore. It's possible that a plumbing change could have enabled the 2-speed pump to work on low speed reliably with the SWCG... it was plumbed right after an elbow, but the manufacturer says to include a straight section of pipe (8", I believe) before the SWCG to allow the flow to smooth out, so perhaps this would have helped. But after several months, the 2-speed pump self-destructed, and I replaced it with an Intelliflo, which has worked fine.

Dual Timer: I could be wrong, but I don't think this would be necessary if you have an EasyTouch?

--Michael

Hello Michael, I am in Brier Lake, Lacombe, down the road from you. I was also looking at the Intelliflo but was curious if the low RPM would still be enough for the SWCG, I did not think about the 2-speed being too low. Thank you for the feedback. I will specify the 8" straight section of pipe with the PB. I still have time to change components but we are getting close.

Our kids are grown so the pool will be used by Daughter when she is home from LSU, grand kids visiting, and my wife and I with a cold beverage each night :) I do want to do laps and this will be a good layout for that.

I have A two speed Hayward tri star and salt system it works great without problems on low speed and use low speed with the freeze protection too I have two returns two jets in buddy seat and two in steps. Maybe more returns gives me overall more flow.

jboyea said:
Hello Michael, I am in Brier Lake, Lacombe, down the road from you. I was also looking at the Intelliflo but was curious if the low RPM would still be enough for the SWCG, I did not think about the 2-speed being too low. Thank you for the feedback. I will specify the 8" straight section of pipe with the PB. I still have time to change components but we are getting close.

That's the great thing about the Intelliflo... the speeds are completely variable. At it's lowest speed (850rpm, IIRC), it's definitely not enough to activate the SWCG's flow switch. My setup needs about 1600rpm.

Actually, after thinking about it further, I realized that you listed a 1.5hp pump, while mine was a 1hp. If I had to guess, I would say that if the 1hp pump was marginal on low speed, the 1.5hp pump on low speed would probably be sufficient. Still, there are other considerations, which may or may not be a factor. According to Pentair's online calculator, the Intelliflo is about $150/yr. cheaper to run (at 1600rpm) vs. a 2-speed on low speed. It's also quieter, and gives you the option of tweaking the flow rates for water features if necessary.

--Michael

jeepercrna said:
I have A two speed Hayward tri star and salt system it works great without problems on low speed and use low speed with the freeze protection too I have two returns two jets in buddy seat and two in steps. Maybe more returns gives me overall more flow.

There may be other variables involved, and also I think the Hayward doesn't require as much flow.

--Michael

Jboyea,
I'm from the BR area. Please take a look at the link provided by Compguyinnola above. It is actually a fiberglass pool build at another members home around Covington I believe. That person is also posting on this thread. They have had nothing but trouble from their pool builder from day one with their pool build. Please read the thread and contact the person. We would not want you to purchase a fiberglass pool from the same individuals they purchased theirs from. No one should have to go thru the ordeal they did and are still going thru to get a pool installed.

Todd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too am researching fiberglass pool builders in the Slidell area. Is your builder Pools 'N Stuff? I got their contact info off the Leisure Pools website, and it looks like they're the only listed installer for this area. The photos I've seen of their pools look great. What kind of price for that package you listed?

I also see they are listed as a dealer for Royal Fiberglass Pools. I wonder if they sell both?

Wes

Wow That IS the Leisure PB in Slidell I was talking with, the only dealer around for Leisure. Last week I looked at a pool they had just put in and it looked really great, the pool was the same model we were looking at getting. I am torn now because of the problems Michael had, the PB seems like he really knows what he is doing and has answered all my questions clearly and satisfactory. Could that be a one time problem? The BBB does not show any real issues. Mine is about 35k but I have not narrowed down the equipment yet.

We have also looked at Viking pools but I did not get a good feeling at all from that dealer in Mississippi, he would not put anything on paper for me to compare. Looks like Viking bought out Royal pools.

I like the clean look of fiberglass. I had a friend that had a gunite and at night with lights on you could see all the imperfections on the sides. I read many people like how easy they are to take care of.

jboyea said:
Wow That IS the Leisure PB in Slidell I was talking with, the only dealer around for Leisure. Last week I looked at a pool they had just put in and it looked really great, the pool was the same model we were looking at getting. I am torn now because of the problems Michael had, the PB seems like he really knows what he is doing and has answered all my questions clearly and satisfactory. Could that be a one time problem? The BBB does not show any real issues.
Yes, he was cordial, well-mannered, and came across as being very knowledgeable to me too. And in all fairness, he probably does know how to properly install a fiberglass pool... he just didn't do so in my case.

There wasn't one single error that led to us being in this position (though if I had to blame it in one thing, it would be his decision to proceed with setting the pool in the dark), but rather a series of poor judgment calls that compounded.

Good example... the morning construction began, I noticed the outline they were spraying on the grass appeared to be to close to the fence. I brought it to their attention, but they dismissed my concerns, saying that this was "overdig" and that the pool would be in the correct spot. The next morning, when it was clear the pool was NOT in the correct spot and was not only closer to the fence than what we wanted, but also closer than code allowed, he again talked his way out of fixing it... "don't worry, the inspectors never look at that".

It probably would have taken the crew only 30 minutes to correct the mistake before digging began when I first noticed it, but they chose not to. Then, it would have taken maybe a half day of work to fix it when it was indeed set in the wrong spot (other installation steps, plumbing, etc. had not yet begun and the pool only had a foot or so of water in it), but again they chose not to. This eventually led to a failed drainage inspection and a halt-work order (not to mention the pool not being where we wanted it to be, which caused other problems).

A similar series of poor decisions resulted in the pool not being installed correctly, followed by him insisting I would have no problems after I noticed it was badly unlevel (I asked that it be pulled out and re-set level, he refused), which, according to the expert who later inspected the pool, led to it being irrepairably cracked.

Don't get me wrong... I understand that in the real world, jobs sometimes don't go exactly as planned, but if a contractor is going to improvise and cut corners to try and keep a project within budget, he needs to be prepared to take responsibility for his actions if it doesn't work out as hoped.

In my case, he has stubbornly refused to do so, which is why after an entire year, we still have a damaged and incomplete pool, and an unusable backyard that our kids can't even play in.

So, in summary, I'm sure most of his builds go well and result in good pools. But what if it happens to NOT go well? Based on my experience, he will refuse to properly fix it, and will put forth a great amount of legal effort to try and stick you with a severely deficient installation. The chances of this happening to you are probably slim, but you'll need to make the decision as to whether or not you want to risk it.

As for the lack if BBB complaints, it should be noted that one of the "resolved with BBB assistance" cases listed there is mine. I filed a detailed complaint, and the builder responded with a brief and vague statement devoid of any real information about the situation. I followed up with a detailed response, and again he submitted a short statement, this time noting that the matter was on the way to litigation, at which time the BBB ended their involvement (which is their standard policy). But the case is most certainly not "resolved" and was incorrectly categorized as such.

We have also looked at Viking pools but I did not get a good feeling at all from that dealer in Mississippi, he would not put anything on paper for me to compare. Looks like Viking bought out Royal pools.
Here's another builder to look at... http://www.jbhpools.com . Also, I think there's a Leisure dealer in Laplace... I don't know how strict Leisure is about dealer territories, but maybe give it a try.

--Michael

I believe that the pool as well as the install may be what caused his issue.

I have the Leisure Pool Riviera 30 and no issues Thus far.

If your search the reviews on the net Leisure has the best overall warranty and is transferable within the first 5 years. Poor site prep, installation and handling probably caused the issue the other thread has.

Funny thing happened yesterday. I was at the local Leslies Pool supplies in Prairieville, Louisiana talking about equipment for my pool when a guy came in and started talking about the issues with his FG pool. His is staining pretty bad, if I was hearing him correctly. He also said he had other issues with his pool. So I mentioned the TFP site and issues with FG pools in the Mandeville areas. Then the pool guy kinda laughs and tells me he was from the Mandeville area and worked at some pool store around there and knew exactly who I was referring too or knew about Mcaswell's situation. Small world isn't is!!

Do not purchase anything from POOLS 'N STUFF in or near Slidell or Lacombe Louisiana!!!!!!!!!

I would not wish Mcaswell's experience on anyone and if I can help someone else not make a mistake by using you Pools 'N Stuff then I will.

Todd

Jboyea,

I am off Soult St. in Mandeville. We built gunite as I said before. If you want to come by and see our pool, I would be happy to show it off. Our builder used to live directly across the street from us. He did a great job. PM me if you would like to come by and take a look. I have a client who lives in Brier Lake, it is only about a fifteen minute trip from my house.

Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.