Automatic Pool cover switch

Cloudbusting

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Westside LA, CA
Hi... lurking for a while in this great forum

Looking for a way to automatically open/close electric pool cover... Right now we manually have to hold down or up a switch which in turn connects to the motor to open or close

Are there switches to make that easier? Run motor for 30 secs unless cancel button pressed? Zwave?

I wondered the same thing when my cover was being installed last Fall. I asked the installer and he said the "factory was working on it".

I imagine with the precedence set by garage door manufacturers whereby they have multiple safety detection systems (my garage door has both a light beam and force detection to determine if something is in the way) means that it's a tough nut to crack, especially in an environment where it's often not a simple matter to run electrical wires after the fact.

I have installed some automation in my house and have used this to operate my storm/security shutters, same principal as the pool cover motor.
http://www.smarthome.com/2444-222/INSTE ... ule/p.aspx
Not sure what load you have on you pool cover motor, but this might do the trick! It's pretty cool you can program it to open and close at whatever time you want.
You will have to also get a controller for the automated switch, might as well get some automated switches for the outside lights too! If you have any questions about this stuff let me know.

As a builder I would be okay with auto open. Auto close not a chance. Too much risk, too much liability. A garage door control would be ok on a concrete floor. Someone in the water trying to put enough force to get it to stop pretty risky.

For reference, here's the ratings on a CoverStar motor.

Coverstar_motor.jpg

Swimcmp is exactly right, you don't want this thing closing automatically when folks are in the pool, but the parameters for control are such that you could auto open and control closure from your computer or very shortly with your iPhone, or other any smartphone. There is an item called the INSTEON HUB in Beta testing right now that will allow the control via smartphones.
Going from memory here gtemkin, but I think the limits on this controller were around 15 amps, but you would need to check the specs to be sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OKnoproblem: is there a relay in insteon that could handle the 8+amps and can be set to open/close for exactly x seconds? have a basic insteon controller but have most house lights on z-wave.

Agree with everybody: auto closing=bad idea, auto open maybe since I have a full view from the kitchen.

swimcmp said:
You cannot close a auto cover without being in direct view of the cover. Fed gov't requires this for safety. I have been fighting this for 12 to 15 years. There is alot of reasons for this.

Could you please point to the specific Federal law or regulation that requires this.

Cloudbusting - Unfortunately the micro switch listed in the link below will not accomplish what you want as it is only listed to support a 2.5A Motor. They also have three other versions of micro switches other applications, but I did not check the amp draw.
http://www.smarthome.com/2444-222/INSTE ... ule/p.aspx

On the other hand if you did have a motor within the range of 2.5A, this micro switch allows programing like any other limit switch with a defined opening and closing period, and the original switch still functions nominally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.