New pump recommendation

Jun 2, 2010
I have an above ground 27', 17,500 gallon. Ther is only about 6-8 feet of head of 1.5" hose from the skimmer to the pump' then to the Hayward 150 Voyager cartridge filer, then heater, then return. The current pump is Hayward SP1520Z1EFTC, 2.0 HP, SF is SPL. I have heard this is an uprated pump?

I tend to run the pump for 12 hrs, during swimming time (10am-10pm)since I like to have the heater kick on if water temp drops below comfort level. Heater won't run if pump is not on. I considered a 2 speed pump but if I leave the pump on 24 hrs a day, heater will run at night and waste a lot of gas. So one speed seems to be what I need.

As for size, considering the above, what would the correct HP needed be? 3/4, 1 or 1 1/2?

By the way, current pump started leaking and making loud hum last year. Since I have always suspected this pump is to much HP, I figure this is a good time to get it right.

12 hours is a long time to run the pump on high for just filtering reasons. My pool (11K) on low is clear at about 4-5 hours (but sometimes in the middle of the summer I need to run longer due to the swg and solar). Bottom line, I would be surprised that you would need to run the pump more than 12 hours on low speed. Of course each pool is different.

Assuming you do not have any high volume water features, I would probably look at the Hayward Matrix 2-speed 1 hp or the Pentair Dynamo 2-speed 1 hp.

So how does the Hayward 2 speed work? If I run for 12hrs (I do this so the heater can come on during the day, it is over kill for clean water) does it switch between speed? Is it always on one speed until its manually switched?

You either have a manual switch to select the speed or can add a timer to a automatically switch the speeds. Sounds like you have no need for the automation.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The Hayward I have now is rated at 2HP. Any plug it type timer is rated for use with 1HP pumps max. Hayward has a bolt on timer for their pumps but can only be set to run for 6/12/18/24hr run times and you have to set it AT the time you want it to go on. For example, if I want the pump to start at 10am and run for 6hrs, I have to go set the timer AT 10am for the 6hr run time. It's not time aware, it just runs for however many hours you set it for every 24hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.