when to open inground pool...

DanaSC

May 16, 2012
Lexington, SC
Sorry if this is a repetitive question but I haven't seen anything that addresses it...when is the best time to open my pool? I live in South Carolina. Is there a certain water temperature I should be waiting for? Thanks!

Is there a suggested range, say opening between 40-60? I'm curious as well, how low of a water temp do people open at..?

I assume at this point judging by the weather that if we do reach freezing overnight it won't be a big deal since the daytime highs are in the 50s-70s now. I know some people who don't close their pools make sure to have their pumps running 24/7 when it gets close enough to freezing. I run mine 24/7 anyway.

Is there any reason not to open when your daytime high temp is averaging 60 and overnight low average is 40.

The sunshine was incredible today, probably was around 55 at lunch, made me realize I might as well open the pool this weekend :D

Speedo said:
Is there any reason not to open when your daytime high temp is averaging 60 and overnight low average is 40.
Yes, if you have a sun blocking cover, it is unlikely that you will need to do anything (i.e. sanitize) until it reaches 60F. Once you open it, then you will have to start sanitizing, etc.

In a word, impatience.

I'm sick of looking at the black cover. But also last year we had a burst of heat for almost a straight week and I think having 1 good day of swimming would have been just enough to make the next month and a half of waiting seem not quite so long. :)

I was targeting towards the end of the month to open anyway, couple weeks isn't that much different. I know that the weather predictions will change every day, but anytime I see upper 70s and sunny I feel that I need to have it open just in case it could work out for a glorious day of enjoyment.

To answer your heater question; not only can it not get warm enough, but I don't want to waste the money either. However, under perfect circumstances I would definitely run it for a day or two.

I opened mine this weekend here in NJ. Then past two years I opened up to a green pond in late April / early May. I figured I'd try getting a jump on it this year before the water warmed up and the algae had a chance to get a foothold. Knock on wood this opening has been a piece of cake. I probably went through 30 gallons of 12% bleach last year. This year after 5 gallons my free chlorine looks like it already holding steady. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am in northern NJ and just opened mine today. I always open it the first week in April. The water was 49 this morning, but is up to 51 now. It is perfectly clear and if I had a wet suit I would be swimming right now :)

This will be my first time opening and I am getting anxious.... I did peak under the cover the other day and was thrilled to see that the water is clear. I need to re-stain my deck first though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.