Pool Opening Question

Apr 27, 2012
High Point, NC
First off, I want to thank you all for being such a great resource. My pool season last year was a dream....no outbreaks, in fact, did not even have to shock the pool one time after I got it up and running using the BBB system.

This is my first season that I have opened the pool after using BBB for the prior season, and I just want to be sure that what I am seeing is legit.

I used a dark winter cover and a leaf net to keep the pool relatively clean. There were still some leaves that made it into the pool over the winter, but not that many. When I removed the cover this week, the pool water was clear and I started to scoop up the leaves. I had lost about 20% of the water (I think I have a slow leak somewhere) so I had to add water. Once I finished filling it up and got the pump and filter going, I added about 6 ppm worth of Chlorine and let it sit over night. My goal was to see how much Chlorine I lost to algae. I assumed that I had 0 ppm FC in the pool, but the next morning when I did my first test, it showed 9 ppm FC and 0 ppm CC. Does that seem reasonable? Could chlorine stay in the pool all winter even with some leaves in the pool but with the cover on?

I have read that reagents have a shelf life, so I thought that perhaps my reagants have weakened, but before I order a new bunch, I thought I would see if this is normal or not.

I tend to believe it's as Jason suspected. That the fill water added the FC. I always test my pool when I open it and usually have at least a trace of FC left after the winter. I use an opaque cover and raise it to shock level just prior to covering it for winter.

Last year I had 8ppm after opening, some of that probably wasn't from the fill water. But the prior year my CYA was so high I closed with just over 30ppm. I should test my water this year before adding any just to see if it's 0, but I will probably forget or be too eager to get things going.

While the above probably explain it, let me ask:

How old is your kit and how/where do you store it?
I just replaced my TF100 kit that was going on 3 years old (stored in a closet in the house) and all the tests seemed to still be working fine (as compared to the new kit).

Hard to say if any of the chemicals were affected being in the garage ... what are the temps like in there. Although I think getting a bit cold is not as bad as getting hot or sitting in the sun.

I'm in NC. We got down to the mid 20s some this winter, but my garage was shut, so it probably never got below 40 - 45. It definitely never got hot in there, and they are back in the house in my usual spot now that we are prepping the pool to open. For now, I am going to assume that the fill water (I am on city water, so it is treated water) added the chlorine. Thanks again to all for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.