Any weekenders?...and a few newbie questions

wrh1972

LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2008
NYC and Upstate NY
Are there any other weekend-only pool owners on line here? If so, how do you guys deal with regular maintenance. From what I've been reading on TFP, most of our forum-mates live with their pools full time and can spend the time each day keeping things on the rails.

I signed a pool service contract for this year out of fear of not knowing what to do :oops: . Now after reading the boards I'm wondering if that was the right thing. Unless they surprise me, I doubt they will keep the pool to the standard I would expect. I anticipate I will be spending Saturday mornings testing my levels and re-vacuuming.

I am hoping that this weekend will be our first jump in the brand new pool. I have my TF Test Kit and will post my numbers this weekend once I get a chance to get my hands wet. I'm so excited to finally jump in the water, I've stopped sleeping at night.

And I have a few questions for the experts:

1) I heard from my garden guy that the pump wasn't working when he was up there yesterday. If there has been an issue and it's not run for a week, how long do I need to keep it going for to get things back in control?

2) As I'm not using the pool all week I'm hoping to keep the pump on a 12 hour timer during the week. I have it set for 6pm to 6am now, is that sustainable on a midweek basis (note the SWG)?

3) If I get up there this weekend and the numbers are somewhat out of whack, is the pool safe for swimming or do I need to wait for everything to be exact before we use it?

I had some other Q's but they escape me now...I'm sure I'll have more once I get up there. I'll get some pics up too. The fence went in last week and I've not seen it yet!

Thanks!

The pool is safe if the water is clear and it can hold a chlorine level. If the pump has been off for a week you will very likely have algae. Recovering from algae can easily take most of a week.

Depending somewhat on the relative size of the pump and the pool, running the pump 12 hours a day is probably fine. If you don't have time of day electrical rates it is a little better to run the pump during the day. If you do have time of day rates, running at night is acceptable.

If you have a SWG and the pump is working it isn't all that difficult to leave the pool alone for a week at a time. You will need to setup the water chemistry carefully to be sure that PH doesn't get out of control while you are away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.